Pool newbies on a learning curve.

Hi there.

I am so glad ya'll are here to help us with our pool question. Thanks a bunch! Also, I like to write, so if you prefer to just get to my question please scroll to the end and skip my storytelling. Many thanks!

So my hubby and I bought a new home last fall and we are thrilled that it has an in-ground pool. We are way out in the middle of nowhere so running in to a pool supply store is not something we can do.

We are both somewhat disabled and we had hoped to have someone else open our pool but we were unsuccessful at finding anyone willing to drive this far out into the country to help us. We were told if something breaks they will come but anyone can open a pool. Oh really... :shock:

After talking to the guy on the phone I felt a little more confident. Especially since he didn't try to sell me anything. So on Mother's Day weekend we drove to Kansas (from Missouri) to visit our kids and we stopped in a local pool store and asked them what all we needed to open our pool and they gave us a quick crash course on what to do. Of course we explained we had never done anything remotely like it before. We spent a little over $600.00 and left feeling both broke and excited to get back home and open our pool.

note to self... never step foot in a pool store again :hammer:

Once we got it was time to turn our filter on. Thank the Lord my hubby thought to look in the pump for a plug. We also found one in the filter. This was when we got on Youtube to see where to look for more. We didn't find any others. The pool store people didn't mention any plugs.:confused: Better look for more.

While hubby was looking for plugs, I was playing with the fancy new chemicals. The pool store sold us a test kit and some strips and things so I got a clean water bottle and slapped the black water a couple times to scare away the snake we found on the cover when we cleaned the leaves off the day before and then plunged my hand in and collected some water to test and took it in to my laboratory... I mean my laundry room for testing then went back out to check on hubby.

All the plugs were out so we turned on the pump. The pumped groaned a time or two and then hubby smacked it with a pipe and we heard it begrudgingly began chug along and then thrilled as the water began to move. And then... up from the bottom our snake buddy comes and sticks his head out of the water. He looked right at us as if to ask us why we dared disturb his sanctuary. I hate to kill him with the bleach but I bet he will get out once we put it in and we are not waiting. At least I hope he gets out as the idea of netting his rotting dead body out of the pool did not excite me.:pukel:
So... now that the water was moving we happily put the powered shock directly into our pool. We had a $65.00 box of shock that had 12 bags of shock and we were told to put 4 bags in every 12 hours at which point our pool would be crystal clear. We had explained the pool was so black you could not see through it. No worries we were told. So we did not worry and we faithfully put the shock in until it was gone.

At the end of 36 hours our pool had gone from deep dark black to a wonderful sparkling... black. hahaha... and the pool store was 2 hours away. On top of all that my poor hubby had the flu and was sick in bed. :(

That was when I got out my laptop and started researching. That is when I found TFP's Pool School. When he wasn't busy feeling just plain miserable hubby helped me read through all the steps of opening a pool and we began to feel really foolish and a little bit rooked by the pool store. Well at least we got a test kit and a solar blanket for part of our expense. Most of it was just not needed. :cry:

So we let it go for a few days until hubby got better during which time the frogs reclaimed the lovely greenish black water as their own private pond.

The one key thing we were never told... and I guess it is just plain common sense.. (I guess I am not common) but we were never told to get a vacuum and get the junk off the bottom of the pool. We could not see through the water and there was a cover... I guess we assumed it was just dirty water. We didn't think about there being leaves and those little seed strings from the oak trees all over bottom. :-? So all that organic stuff just had to come out. We did find the vacuum. Again I praise the Lord that there was one in the barn and that it actually worked. So many things in this new home are either missing or broken... but that is another story. Anyway we vacuumed and shocked with bleach.

We just put 6 more bottles of bleach in tonight. I was so excited to find that there was still chlorine in the pool this evening when usually there is exactly zero when I test it in the evening. The filter keeps kicking off... I am pretty sure it has something to do with the timer so I removed the little metal markers that tell it when to turn off and on. I think that will make it run 24/7 until I am done with the opening. After that I can work on determining how the timer works. :confused:

There also were no critters in the pool or the skimmer tonight. I think probably because there was still 2-4 ppm of FC still in the pool. So far I have found many frogs both dead and alive in the skimmer. I have found a snake in the pool. I also found a snapping turtle in the skimmer so large he was jammed in pretty tight. He was bigger around than the 7 inch skimmer basket and his head was nearly as big as my chihuahua's head. He was very mad when I got him out as to do so I used 2 pair of 14"channel lock pliers. I would have asked hubby to do it but his knee prevents him from kneeling. I wasn't sticking my hand in there with him for fear he would get me. :shark:

Okay... so now you know how far we have come... I know we are not done and we need to keep going.

My vacuum does not do much for the algae growing on the liner so I think I need to go out and brush that down. I plan to do that tomorrow... if it does not rain.

Also my skimmer does not pull the stuff down into the basket it just sort of swirls around on the surface above the basket. I think I have the water level a bit too high. Does this seem like a possible reason for that?

My levels tonight are:

TA:100
CH:300
FC:3
PH:7.2
CYA: <30

Our well water has a PH coming out of the hose of 7.5 I am not sure why this is testing so low unless it is the higher FC. I tested it before I started slamming and it was7.5
My CYA is slightly less than 30 as I can still see the black dot but just barely. Do you think I need to raise it? If so does anyone know if I can use a product that I currently have that came from a pool supply store called Leslie's Jumbo Tabs?

Perhaps you know of something I don't even know to ask about.

Again thanks so much for your time and knowledge

Lorianne Robinson

Well, Lorianne, I am thrilled to welcome you to TFP. I know some of it wasn’t that funny for you guys, but I love the way you write - you had me laughing!

I am so sorry that pool store sold you a bill of goods. At least I hope they sold you a decent test kit? Which kit is it?

If your numbers are right, you are very close to being ready for SLAM. We’d just want to raise your CYA a bit, and if you have a Walmart near you, you can get it there. And of course you will need lots of liquid chlorine.

Can we see a photo of your pool? And the snapping turtle, if you took one! :shock:

LOL, I just read parts of your story to my daughter. When I got to the snapping turtle, she asked me, in all seriousness, “are they sure that isn’t actually a pond?”

;)

Hello again and thanks for the kind remarks and for your help.

We have been doing the SLAM method on our pool for 3 days. Today will be day 4.

We started by taking a sample of the water for testing then using the vacuum as soon as the shade hits the pool around 4 pm. Then we bring the water level back up so the skimmer works correctly and then use pool math to bring the shock level up to at least 16ppm. We test again in the am and again at 4pm. Then repeat.
Here is what we started with.

Here is what we have this morning. Our FC is over 10ppm which is the highest my kit will test.

And this is a closeup of the bottom of the deep end. It rained last night so there are a few leaves to clean up today.

As for the snapping turtle... unfortunately I did not get a photo of him. I was too busy wrestling him into submission and then when I flung him out toward the woods, he only stood there snapping at me a moment or two before he decided he had endured more than enough for one day and he pulled up his skirts... ummm shell and took off toward the real pond. So no photo of him. But instead for your viewing pleasure I submit a photo of our pretty snake friend resting on the pool cover and posing for this lovely photo. My hubby considered shooting him but we decided a bullet hole in our pool cover and our pool was probably not a great idea. So to thank us for sparing his life he slithered down into the pool and took up residence there until we ran him off with copious amounts of bleach. ;)

Wanna see him bigger? All photos are links to bigger photos.

Also thanks for the tip about CYA at Walmart and that it is also in our tabs. I think we will just float some tabs. Walmart.. like everything else is 45 mins away. Since we don't seem to need much and we already have the tabs. We will try those first.

Welcome lorianne...awesome sense of humor in your posts! The more experienced folks who have replied and that will reply have you in good shape...keep posting!

First of all, welcome! I think I'd like to nominate you as our official spokesperson. Your story is the epitome of why this forum exists, and you tell it so well. Just follow the advice you get here and your pool will be sparkling in no time.

Also, if you look around here at all you'll quickly learn that our method depends heavily on accurate testing. (I can't believe I'm the first one to bring this up?!?!). For that reason, there are only a couple of test kits that we recommend, namely the TF-100 or the K2006. Both of these contain a FAS-DPD chlorine test that most other kits lack, and this is essential to measure chlorine levels above 10 ppm. With you having just been rookie-doed by the pool store, I hate to be the one tell you that you need to spend even more money. But you need to spend even more money. But rest assured, this will be the best money you will ever spend on your pool. With a good test kit, I can easily maintain my pool for under $300/year.

Tell us what kit you currently have, and perhaps you can just add the FAS-DPD test and have everything you need.

Also my skimmer does not pull the stuff down into the basket it just sort of swirls around on the surface above the basket. I think I have the water level a bit too high. Does this seem like a possible reason for that?
As for this, that is normal. I have all kinds of pine needles, June bugs, etc. that swirl around above the basket. I try to scoop up as much of them as I can when I take the basket out to dump it, but some of them always escape. I just pick out as much as I can by hand and put the basket back in. If you lower your water level, you run the risk of it getting so low that it sucks in air through the skimmer, and that will cause your pump to lose its prime.

Looking forward to following your progress here. So glad you found us!

Just looking to confirm that you have a weir door on your skimmer, right?

Weir door? hahaha... I just learned another thing. I had to look that one up. But yes we do. I admit that the first time I looked to confirm that was after I played tug-o-war with the snapping turtle. I could not figure out how he got in there. I was sure he was not getting out the way he came in. I playfully told my hubby as I walked over to the skimmer cover that if that snake was in the skimmer I was going to scream. When I opened the cover and it was completely full of turtle... I did scream. Involuntarily. Then I nearly fell in the deep black pool trying to back up. Once I went back to look in the skimmer I could see he was trying to get out or at least move. He was wedged in tight his feet pushing helplessly at the sides. Once we got him out, the first thing I did was look and feel for the little door and make sure it flapped up and down correctly. It does. So yes, we do have weir door and it is moving with the flow of water as it should. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, Jeff, I was too enthralled with the story and forgot about the test kit!

That snake... oh dear lord. I would probably need hospitalization after running into that.

My theory on the turtle is that he got trapped in there as a lad, and probably had plenty of yuck to eat, and grew. He’s pretty lucky you found him when you did!

You are making amazing progress, but as Jeff pointed out, you really do need a better test kit.

My theory on the turtle is that he got trapped in there as a lad, and probably had plenty of yuck to eat, and grew.

Well we do know that he swam in there in the prior 24 to 48 hours as we had checked the skimmer for a plug when we tried the failed shock method the pool store had us try a few days before. There was a couple days we did nothing while my hubby recovered from the flu and during that time the critters reclaimed the pool as their own. It was during that time this guy swam in there. My theory is that is that he swam in there while chasing frogs and failed to consider the consequences of entering a dead end through a one-way door. :D

Okay, I checked out the kit we have and though it is a Leslie brand it is a Taylor 2005 and we do need to order the FAS DPD part to make it complete so I am headed to Amazon to get it. We should have pretty quick. Then we should be able to get done. Thanks again guys!
Simpsons-Mr.-Burns-Excellent.jpg

Hello my friends,
I got my FAS-DPD test kit today.
What we had been doing before we ordered it was shocking at night and retesting in the AM and again in the PM and using pool math to return the FC to shock level. At first the FC was dropping low enough I could read it with the kit I already had which reads FC up to 10 ppm. When the pool cleared up enough that it held the FC level over 10 ppm, I no longer had an accurate reading to plug into the pool math calculator. That was when we realized you guys really did know what you were talking about and we really did need the kit and we ordered the kit. I guess there was still a little bit of dumb new pool owner left in us. hahaha. But then we had to wait 4 days due to the holiday and since we really didn't want to undo all the work we had done we just guessed at our FC based on what it had been the day before and the trend of how much less bleach we had been using day by day.... Once we got to adding two gallons at a time we held steady and waited for the kit.
I know... I know, I will do it so you don't have to. :hammer:

But now I need your help.
Last night we added 2 gallons of bleach at midnight ( I almost forgot which is why I did it so late) Today at 2 pm as soon as we got the kit, the FC level is 11.5 ppm. Of course I have no idea what it was last night, only that it was over 10 ppm. lol
So, do I just take it back up to shock level, or do I wait and see if it drops any today? I usually shock it after dark.
The pool actually looks pretty good. We have had company since Monday afternoon so I have neither vacuumed, brushed or dipped for leaves. I have emptied the skimmer basket. I will post a few photos at the bottom of the page including a close up of both shallow end and the deep end. I can't decide if the brown stuff that settles on the bottom is dead algae, the seeds from the oak tree.. it has those string seeds that look like a fuzzy caterpillar or maybe even sand. Whatever it is, it easily stirs into the water column and practically disappears but then settles back on the bottom the next day. It is slowly going away but seems to be taking forever. I need to vacuum yet again. lol
As you can probably see the water is a bit cloudy on the deep end but looks really clear on the shallow end... just because there is less water to look through.

I would also like advise about which of the other tests I have in my kit that would be accurate at high FC levels and which one I would wasting my time and my reagents to be testing when the FC levels are high.

Right now my FC is 11.5 and CC is 1.0

I have the Taylor FAS-DPD kit and the Taylor 2005 kit.

This is a photo of the pool:

kdsP4Wrl.jpg

This the deep end. You can see it is a bit cloudy:

NRQ1gQql.jpg

This is the shallow end. This is the easiest place to see the sand... or whatever it is that settles on the bottom. Any idea what this might be?

o8zr6qEl.jpg

What is your CYA?
The only test that is inaccurate at high FC (>10ppm) is the pH test. The rest should work (although the color changes might be different).

You want to dose back up to your target shock level every time you test.

Okay... here is what we got now

FC is 11.5
CC is 1.0
CYA is between 30 and 40 though closer to 30
TA is 130
CH is 150

So as I understand it, we take it back to shock level again, right? How will I know when we are done?

Thanks so much for your help but I seem to floundering in the middle of the process...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.