Sep 10, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP-ers,

Monday was my first time opening the pool. (Last year was our first year in this house and we replaced the liner so we didn't open normally.) Armed with my trusty Taylor K2006 test kit, I know what to do (thanks to this fantastic forum) but I need help setting expectations.

We have a mesh Loop-Loc cover. In the fall, I followed TFP's advice for closing and, of course, it worked pretty well. I wasn't able to open as early as I would have liked, but the water was only slightly green on Monday. Once I started SLAMming, the green disappeared pretty quickly. Every day the water gets clearer, but it's still cloudy today (Thursday). Today was the first day I could see the main drain. I've vacuumed quite a bit of gray sludge from the bottom (doesn't smell like anything; no green/yellow/brown in there), removed all the large debris, and am keeping the filter on around the clock. Things are going in the right direction, but I'm just wondering how long this could take---and if there's anything I've overlooked. Here are my stats (I tested the PH and TA on Monday before adding the first dose of chlorine):

Sand filter (Backwashed yesterday because pressure was up ~20%. It hasn't increased at all today.)
FC: 12
CC: 1
CYA: 30
TA: 50
PH: 7.1

A note on the CC: It increased over last night's OCLT. It had been 0.5 Tuesday and Wednesday, but my FC dropped to 11.5 last night and my shock target is 12. I've been keeping it between 12 and 14 all day today, but in tonight's test, CC was still 1. This is my biggest concern right now. The water temp has risen a lot since it's been a warm week here (64 on Monday and 72 today on the floating thermometer). Maybe that has something to do with it? At least the water looks better all the time.

Anything to keep an eye on that I'm missing? Any ideas on how much longer a SLAM usually takes under similar circumstances?
~Teany

We can’t predict how long it will take, but your numbers look good. Water is clearing, seems like everything is on track. Just keep at it! Remember, sand filters take a bit longer to clear cloudiness, but it will clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.