Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build in Fulshear - Houston TX Area

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: New Pool Build in Fulshear - Houston TX Area

Finally a few days of sun in the past week has allowed some progress. Most of the tile/stone work is done. Just some touchups here and there and most of the grouting hasn't been done yet, tomorrow hopefully. But here's how it's looking...

20,000 gallon ingound pool/spa, gunite with pebble, Hayward 4030 catridge filter, Hayward tri-star variable speed pumps, 400k BTU heater. Build in progress as of August 2018. TF-100 Test Kit. My pool build thread.

2. Back To Top    #42

That rolled edge on the spa looks so comfy! I would love a close up look to see just how they did it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #43

It turns out it doesn't look so great up close, I don't have any other pics at the moment. They installed it by using as much of the 12x12 sheet as possible, then cut thin angled V's to go between those larger sheets. It doesn't look cohesive, looks very patch work.

Can someone explain the general methods for installing rolled edge tile so I can be a bit more specific with my PB? Seems like installing it in 1" strips row by row would be an effective method, but curious what the standard is for achieving a consistent look / pattern. Thanks again!
    20,000 gallon ingound pool/spa, gunite with pebble, Hayward 4030 catridge filter, Hayward tri-star variable speed pumps, 400k BTU heater. Build in progress as of August 2018. TF-100 Test Kit. My pool build thread.

4. Back To Top    #44

Take and share a pic of what you are seeing. I think I know what you mean but want to make sure. I am also going to put in a call to someone who should know the best practices for installing that.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #45

TFP Guide

You are correct. They installed them incorrectly. They should be installed one row at a time (or said another way, independently) all the way around. The top row is a larger diameter circle so there needs to be more tiles in the upper rows. The tiles should not/will not align vertically. Here is a picture of one done properly. That's a redo in my book.

18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #46

Here is an example of the disjointed layout, there's a seam like this every foot. Except for the first 3 feet of the circumference where they did it in in a different way with no seam. The picture at the bottom is what I would like it to look like.

7. Back To Top    #47

TFP Guide

You are correct. Just tell them and let us know the PB's response.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #48

Thanks bmoreswim, I've emailed and texted the PB, and sent him the picture you posted as well. Will let you all know how it goes.

9. Back To Top    #49

The PB agreed to rip it out and redo it one row at a time. Thanks again for everyone's help!

10. Back To Top    #50

Great news, I can’t believe the tilers thought that was acceptable. Hopefully they don’t come near my pool build.
    Houston area | Geometric pool | 12,000 gal | 40x7x13 | Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST | Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter | Pentair Mastertemp Heater | Globrite LEDx3 | Easytouch PS-4

11. Back To Top    #51

I was holding my breath after I saw the pics THEN let it out when I read what your PB said!

12. Back To Top    #52

UGH... Seems like your PB just used his regular workers to apply decorative tiles, instead of hiring a proper tiling sub... That's what happened with me. After I complained about the initial quality, PB hired a tiler. Maybe you have the same PB as me...
    My build thread. 40' X 17' IG gunite pool + Integrated 7' X 9' spa. Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, Travertine coping and deck, NPT Arctic Lagoon AT083 glass waterline tiles and spillovers. All Hayward brand equipment: VS pump, 1.5 HP water feature pump, Omnilogic, SWCG 40,000 gal capacity, spa blower.

13. Back To Top    #53

In the Industry

This goes to the importance of naming standards Tile council, apsp, and ansi in contracts.

Acceptable is subjective, barring failures.

Glass tile should also be specced T contract signing and construction with a successful glass install in mind.

Switching to glass at the last minute as a feature or upgrade, is always a recipe for failure.

14. Back To Top    #54

Thanks for posting so many pictures of this. We're getting a rolled edge too. So glad that your builder is going to retile the spa.

15. Back To Top    #55

I hope your PB makes it right, as having a rolled edge on the spa is great and nice and comfy to lean back on as you soak up the heat and relax. Here’s a picture of ours completed in south houston a year ago.

17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP TriStar Dual Speed, 725 sq ft SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount clear O3, Pro Logic controller, 500k BTU heater, AquaVac 500, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP Tristar Dual Speed, 725 sq SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3, ProLogic Controller, 500k BTU Heater, AquaVac 500 Robot, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.

16. Back To Top    #56

PB was true to his word and had his guy rip out redo the rolled edge, we're pretty happy the way it turned out. Will look even better with some plaster and clean water!

17. Back To Top    #57

Much better!
    Houston area | Geometric pool | 12,000 gal | 40x7x13 | Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST | Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter | Pentair Mastertemp Heater | Globrite LEDx3 | Easytouch PS-4

18. Back To Top    #58

I agree! Much better! Good job PB!

19. Back To Top    #59

In the Industry

I like it!! Rolled edges are making a comeback!

20. Back To Top    #60

Progress has been pretty slow. In the last two weeks they've managed to install some of the deck drain and frame in about half the concrete patio area. The weather has been good so not sure what the delays are, I assume the PB is just prioritizing other jobs.

I have a question about the equipment pad, is there any area in there to install a SWCG? I understand it has to be after filters and heater. Didn't know if someone maybe sees an obvious spot to splice one in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast