Zodiac new cell broken?

merel

Aug 29, 2009
Please can anyone give me advice- I am completely lost!

We have a saltwater pool. Since 6 weeks we all of a sudden have no FC reading.. I thought it may be the cell which needed replacing (was installed 6 yrs ago...). Bought a new one (Zodiac clearwater LT-15). Installed it. Nothing! Water passing through the cell is plain clear .. should it not be cloudy, or have bubbles to show it's producing chlorine? Is it broken?
Could it be that CYI is too low?

I don't know what to do... any advice highly appreciated!!! :-D

Merel

Welcome!

Don't know if the cell is broken or not, but I do know that we would need your latest water test results.
FC
CC
PH
ALK
CYA
& SALT

If salt level is too low, the cell hasn't anything to convert into Clorine, if your other numbers are off, the cell won't like it much, either.

But in any case, somebody will be answering your questions shortly.

You can normally see bubbles in one of those units if the cell is generating. Is the control allowing you to set the output all the way up? If you have a volt meter handy, check to see that there's power getting to the cell.

Spishex,
Thanks! My husband already suspected something like this. We will try and get a volt meter to see if any power is getting to cell. What if not? Does it mean we'd have to change the control unit? Control unit is working.. and all the lights do show up..

Thanks again!
Merel :goodjob:

It may be an issue with the power board or the transformer. All the controls work properly, correct?

Yes, all functions work fine, no problems there. Maybe it's the lead towards the cell? Will try the volt meter soon.

THANKS AGAIN!
Merel

Thanks, Malcolm. The control panel just works 'normal' - all lights work as they should (so the lights "no flow" & "add salt" are both off/not lit). Green are the lights that indicate the chlorine level/output. It all looks normal (hence I thought the cell was the problem!), but still no electricity to cell as shown by volt meter...
:wave:
cheers!
Merel

Hi Merel,
I am sorry for the delay in responding and i hope you may have sorted you issue out.
With all the lights on and still no outut at the cell seems strange, if the Green output lights are on and you are able to adjust them up or down then the the lights are registering amperage at the cell. sometimes when you replace a new cell the chlorine being produced at the cell is very fine and you may only see a light cloud coming off. I take it the cell we are talking about is the clear rectangular one?, if so can you undo the cell from the barrel unions, turn it upside down and fill it full of pool water, connect the leads back up to the cell, and turn the LM on, but it would be a good idea to disconnect the pump so it wont come on. the cell should then bubble away and produce chlorine. If the cell still doesn't work then definately you have an issue with the power pack.
cheers
malcolm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They use a gas trap instead of a flow switch, so turning the cell upside down should work for testing. Connect your cell and the gas trap wires to the cell. And as suggested, make sure the pump is disconnected so it doesn't shoot water all over the place while you have the cell removed.

Make sure you have the proper salt level. Since you have a new cell, if you don't get bubbling, it's most likely your cell cord or something in the power supply.

thats correct, the smaller wire is connected to a pin going through the end of the cell and water must be touching this for the cell to work. by turning the cell upside down and filling it with poolwater makes sure the pin is cover by the water and will activate the power to the cell and keeping fingers crossed make it produce chlorine.

Good luck.

cheers
Malcolm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.