Like Last Year's Easter Egg

Apr 12, 2018
Newton, AL
That's how lost I am...

22000 Gallon Vinyl liner
Hayward Salt System

Test Strips show everything within good levels, except the FC and CYA
Test Kit (Taylor K-2005) shows low Chlorine and pH levels

I tackled the pool over 2 weeks ago, the pool had a lot of organic debris (leaves and sediment, even a grill cover...) it was green. My boy tried the pool store's swamp to swim treatment, it was a few bags of shock and some other coagulation something or other. It began to clear overnight, we could see a load of gunk on the bottom, went to work, forgot about the timer, came home and it was all murky orange!!!!!

Shut it off hoping to get it to clear again, but no luck.

So, a few pounds of Calcium Hypoclorite, a few gallons of chlorine, and a few days later it's now turned brown!!! I brushed the pool, the sides and bottom, and it still feels slimy!!!!! I mean Chernobyl-ed it with bleach and shock and its still growing!!!! I dropped 7.5 gallon of chlorine in it!!!

The weather hasn't helped either, raining just about everyday in the afternoon and evening. My attempt at a OCLT shows plenty of chlorine one day and almost none the next.

The filter has run for days and nights, I have backwashed several times. At least once every day this week.

Please don't scold me for my ignorance, I've never had a pool and this is as frustrated as I have ever been. The only reason I even sound like I know what i'm talking about is because I have been doing a lot of reading. If only I had read this stuff before starting...

little help please

No scolding, and a little bit of giggling at your thread title and intro!

But, man, you need to stop chucking in everything but the kitchen sink, and let’s see what your pool really needs!

Can you post a photo of your water? We love seeing the before picture, and YOU are going to love seeing the after picture!

First job is to make sure you are testing properly. Ditch the test strips, they are worthless. I think you have everything needed except the FAS-DPD test for chlorine, so you need to get that.

Next, post your test results as follows, and then we will see!

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA
CH

Test the water and post back

FC (wait on fas-dpd for this)
Cc (wait on fas-dpd for this)
pH
Ta
Ch
Cya

Order the fas-dpd portion of the test kit to get it where it needs to be, try to get 2 oz of reagents you will need it. Tftestkits.net

Toss the strips

Use PoolMath to add in 10 ppm of FC with bleach as long as you have cya

You might want to find out what the 'swamp to swim' stuff was. Hopefully not Sodium Bromide.

wow! Now that's impressive!

Take a few minutes to go out and write down all of your equipment specs, pump brand and model name, filter brand and model number, measure the pool for dimensions and fill out your signature with all of that info, so everyone can help get you going.

You will need the dimensions to get the number of gallons to properly measure when adding chemicals.

Will not be any magic pills here, this is about killing the algae and filtering the water.

Everyone will watch and cheer as you go along here with plenty of help along the way.

Cheers,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.