The wife got me thinking...

M. Solarsystem

Gold Supporter
Apr 8, 2018
Redding, Ca
So I am a TFP convert and my pool has never looked better (thank you tfp!, long live tfp!), but my wife raised a question that has me thinking...

i drained my pool and refilled as my cya was skyrocket high. To fill my pool up was only about $50 in water. So far, I am spending about $50 a month on liquid chlorine from the pool $tore. (12.5%, super fresh), and I am not even close to the brunt of summer. I know my chlorine use will go up along with monthly $ on chlorine. I have raised my cya to ~50.

The question is, at what point is it cheaper to toss pucks/ shock and let cya climb, knowing I will just drain and redo to open next season?

Dont get get me wrong, I love be being in control, and I enjoy running the tests and seeing the perfect water, so I won’t be doing this, but my wife sees all the work I’ve put in and had to ask!

Mark

Well if you are following the FC/CYA ratio then you won't be using any less chlorine and will be spending just as much while also raising your CYA far too fast to make it to winter to drain.

If you aren't following the ratio and just chucking in pucks and hoping for the best then you will end up with some algae eventually, which will quickly suck away any cost savings as well as give your pool downtime during the heat of the summer.

A better option would be to try to find less costly sources of liquid chlorine. Or invest in a saltwater chlorine generator.

Tell your wife you are conserving our most precious natural resource - water!

I 2nd the thought of adding a SWG if you can not find a source of bulk refillable liquid chlorine.

I also agree that attempting to use the pucks will likely result in the FC not being high enough leading to algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.