Test clarification?

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
Here are my numbers today...hoping for a swim day this weekend so trying to get the water good.

FC 8
CC .5
PH 7.2
CH 125
TA 90/100
CH 125
CYA 80

Im still working on dialing in my SWG so I am going to bump it down an hour to get the FC closer to the recommended 3-5. My PH is a little lower than usual, but I noticed that my TA is high. I read that I should lower my PH first? I was actually going to raise it a bit to 7.5. I will have kids swimming in the pool all holiday weekend...

Insight please?

I think you should leave things the way they are and swim. :swim: The pH will rise a bit on its own soon enough. Leave the TA alone unless the pH rises too fast in the future. If the pH is happy, leave the TA alone. :) Continue to work on the FC adjust by dialing-in that SWG, but other than that, all is well. Enjoy!

PS - Now this is assuming the water is crystal clear. If you have any concerns about algae, just let us know.

I wouldn't let the FC come down too much. You are currently at 10% of your CYA, and that's where I like to keep mine. It gives a little wiggle room if something unforeseen were to happen to/in your pool. The minimum you want to allow is 7.5% of CYA, or 6 ppm in your case. Anything below that is begging for trouble.

There's really no downside to keeping FC a little higher. You're going to lose a certain amount every day to the sun, and it's not really any more with a higher FC level. And with CYA at 80, FC below 10 won't be harsh at all.

Its suppose to be pretty sunny this entire weekend. We have had the solar cover on so maybe I will see how the FC holds up without the cover on. Thanks for all the help! Finally some beautiful weather here in Michigan and water is almost 80 degrees already!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.