Water Green, Sand in Pool from broken filter

May 24, 2018
Philadelphia
New to the site but unable to find a post already answering my question. Bought a house last fall, moved in and old owner told us the pool had already been winterized (it was October). Opened the pool last week to a green swamp. Started following the steps on this site and the water did get lighter but still cloudy and green. Check the filter, the laterals were sitting on top of the sand and half the sand was missing, I fixed the pump. However, how should i now clean this pool. The Chlorine level has been holding steady for 2 days with under a 1ppm loss. I started to vacuum to waste to get the sand out but we cant see the bottom of the pool and it's still green. Stabilizer or CYA is between 30-40. PH is 7.2 - 7.5, all other test in normal ranges. How should I go about cleaning up my above ground pool. Further more some of the sand is floating around in the pool, after I put new sand and new laterals in I turned on the pump, when I back-washed it about a 1/4 cup of sand came out.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You might be able to gather up a fair bit of sand with towels, but I would just vacuum to filter, or to waste, whatever was more convenient.

When you get a chance, set up a signature with your pool description, which is really helpful to everyone here.

For test results, we have a preferred format:

FC X.X
CC X.X
pH 7.5
TA XX
CH XX
CYA 40

What are you using for testing? The most often recommended kit here is: TF-100 Test Kit â„¢

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.