Using my SWG during a SLAM??? Yes or no?

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Hey,

Can I use my SWG during a SLAM? I opened my pool yesterday, and its a bit cloudy. I am Slamming currently (with a CYA of 20), and I added bleach in and AM (to bring FC to 12), and then during the days (when im at work), run the SWG so it stays at slam level all day?

Is that a wise idea or no??

Not really. A SWCG is designed to maintain FC at maintenance levels. Not add or hold FC to SLAM levels.

But, it is your SWCG. You will lose a lot of long term life on it (you do not show what brand/model the SWCG is) so it is up to you.

The official line is stick to bleach. A couple reasons: 1) you might forget it's on and mistakenly think you;ve passed the OCLT when you haven't; 2) Towards the end of the SLAM, the FC demand goes way down and you may end up overchlorinating; 3) With the pump running 24 hours a day, the SWG is going to be running a heckuva lot, too, which shortens the life.

That said, if it was my pool, I'd leave it on, at least during the day when I was away.

Your pool, your SWG, you get to decide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.