pump issues

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok, my pump started making odd noises after I backwashed tonight. Sounds like a grating sound. Maybe something stuck or impellor issues?
Anyway, I do not have a back up pump the same size 1.25/1.5 HP but I do have a 2HP pump.
Can I use that as a back up till I can get this one fixed or replaced or am I asking for problems?
I'm sure you need more info than I am giving but I'm not that pump savy so you will have to ask.

The only risk may be to your filter. Does it have a maximum flow rate rating (usually on the label)? Also, what is the model#/make of the 2 HP pump?

Have you looked inside the pump basket of the 1.5 HP to see if there is anything stuck in the impeller? Also, it isn't too hard to remove the motor and inspect the impeller so you might try that before replacing the pump.

mas985 said:
The only risk may be to your filter. Does it have a maximum flow rate rating (usually on the label)? Also, what is the model#/make of the 2 HP pump?

Have you looked inside the pump basket of the 1.5 HP to see if there is anything stuck in the impeller? Also, it isn't too hard to remove the motor and inspect the impeller so you might try that before replacing the pump.

Sand filter has a max 70 GPM flow rating.
The 2HP pump is a Purex Trilon Challanger Centurion
I don't see anything that say model number. I see Part 7 168454-25
RPM 3450 Then some other numbers CF11 N12A 1 24 COO 34 3240
Sorry that may not be much help but it's all I see on the pump.

I'm taking the pump apart today to see if I can see anything obvious. Just waiting for someone a little stronger than me to get here, I cannot even loosen the clamp on the pump.

I'm not sure how I ended up with 2 brand new 2 HP pumps but it would be nice to be able to use one if it's at all possible with out messing up anything else. If not I guess I try to sell them and get a new 1.5 HP. Anyone know what a 2HP pump is worth these days?

There is a good chance you will exceed 70 GPM with a 2 HP pump but you are probably exceeding that with a 1.5 HP as well. It doesn't mean that damage will occur only that it is not recommended. So I would see if you can fix the pump you have now first before using the 2 HP. Is the 2 HP a two speed pump? If so, you could use it exclusively on low speed to prevent any problems.

mas985 said:
There is a good chance you will exceed 70 GPM with a 2 HP pump but you are probably exceeding that with a 1.5 HP as well. It doesn't mean that damage will occur only that it is not recommended. So I would see if you can fix the pump you have now first before using the 2 HP. Is the 2 HP a two speed pump? If so, you could use it exclusively on low speed to prevent any problems.

As far as I can tell it does not have 2 speeds. It does talk about wiring it different for a lower speed but I'm not sure it is for this particular pump. Guess I'd need an electrician for that.

How exactly does one determine how many GPM are flowing through the filter? So if I do have to replace the pump should I go with something smaller?
This pump was here when we bought the place and we have been using it for 4 years now without to many problems. We had the bearings redone a year ago but I'm not sure how much more money I want to put into a pump that may be on it's last legs.

Thanks for all your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.