Low FC

BHfsar

Silver Supporter
May 23, 2018
Fort Smith AR
I've never used liquid chlorine and wonder how much is too much to slam a vinyl liner pool? Will the liner bleach out if too much is used?
FC 2 / CH 200 / CYA 70 / pH 7.4 / TA 100 / CH 200 / TDS 1150 / Temp 80 The water is clear and looks great.
I noticed late into the season last year that it was difficult to maintain a good FC level even by adding extra tabs. Now I'm ready to try the liquid chlorine.

Welcome to the forum!

Are those test results from your own test kit? You need to get your own proper test kit to manage your pool water chemistry. We recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Or the Taylor K2006C. The TF100 is the best value for the residential pool owner.

The process to SLAM Process uses the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to show you what FC to use. At those levels, the active chlorine is less than that seen in a public pool without CYA.

Once you get your test kit run the full set of tests and post them up. We can provide guidance at that time.

Take care.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

It's good to hear your water is clear and looks great. Although your FC is lower than it should be based on your CYA, I'm not sure that you need to SLAM. SLAM is a process used to clean a pool that is having some issues. Are you still having issues keeping FC in the water? During a normal day, most pools loose 2-4ppm of chlorine to the sun and this is considered normal usage. With the TFP method, there is no need to regularly "shock" or SLAM them pool based on a schedule. The daily regular use of liquid chlorine (aka bleach) and keeping the FC at the proper levels per the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] is sufficient to maintain a clear and sanitary pool. Have a look at the chart and some other articles in Pool School and see if you have any questions.
As Marty noted above, if you follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], there is no risk of over chlorinating the pool, no risk of damage to the liner, swimmers, nor equipment. The levels may seem much higher than what you will see quoted elsewhere, but most other sources don't take CYA into account.

Some like to add the required LC in the evening so that it can work on the organics in the pool without degradation by the UV from the sun.

But, really, as long as you test / dose about the same time every day, and you follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], it does not matter when you add the LC.

Take care.

Recently I have been buying my chlorine (They call it liquid Shock) from Atwoods. this week its on sale for 1.99 for 128oz 10%. Just watch the dates because I have gotten some bad ones.
I buy my baking soda from the co-op. I think a 50lbs bag is around $15.00. I don't use very much but its cheap and can be stored easily.
I also bought my CYA from Home depot.

My pump turns on at 8:00pm and check my FC between 8:30pm and 9:00pm.

Listen to the guys on this forum they know what they are talking about. Invest in a good quality test kit and be prepared to check your pool daily. I did a lot of research and in my opinion this is the best method for pool care. You know exactly what you are putting in your pool.

Since I built my pool this has become kind of a hobby for me. Feel Free to PM me and we can exchange numbers if you want to visit locally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.