Solar Panels - Use Filter Pump or Separate

Aug 28, 2009
I currently run a separate pump for my solar panels, an old pool intex pump, connected through an over the side PVC setup homebrew. It works well, but looks like Crud and it's jsut one more thing for the kids to bump into.

I'm wondering if I should just use the setup that they recommend, running the filter pump water through them instead? Less plumbing, can control with one timer, and it'll look nicer.

Suggestions? My other option would be to add new bulkhead fittings for the plumbing and do it that way. It's an 18' 52" intex metal frame pool.

Thanks!

I run mine on the same pump and don't think I have any issues with it. I have ball valves on the supply and return so I can isolate the panels if I had a leak or something. I ran 1 1/2" pvc underground to the panels to feed them and it works fine for me.

Thanks guys!

The pump I'm using is from a little 12' intex blow up pool, so it doesn't suck much power. I would, however, prefer to simplify everything a bit, so I think when I hook it all back up, it'll just run through the main pump.

It seems like much of the energy required to push the water to the roof is regained when it goes back down. Think of moving a rope over a pulley with a weight on each end. What required energy is most likely the friction of pushing water through all the small tubes, which I think normal pool pump should be able to handle no problem.

Are your panels located on the roof? If so, that pump may not have enough head to prime the panels but you can always give it a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.