Any pool owners out there using a UV system?

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Our pool is being built and is almost ready. We have opted for a Delta UV system (ES-10) and I have a couple of questions about the level of CYA and chlorine. Do you still run the recommended CYA levels of 30-50 (I will be using the BBB method for maintenance), or do you run it higher as if you had a SWG, around 70-80?

I understand with a SWG you can run the FC at 4.5% of the CYA levels (as apposed to the non SWG pools where its more like 7.5%) because in the SWG itself there is a high concentration of chlorine before it enters the pool which kills a lot of the bacteria, germs, viruses, algae, etc., which is exactly what happens in the UV unit. So this is why I'm questioning the right levels of CYA (I assume the chlorine still needs to be about 3-5).

Cheers...

teapot said:
Flyboy, may I ask what made you take the decision to go the UV route?

As my Scottish wife would say "6 or 1/2 a dozen"

Hear (not seen or experienced) of problems with salt causing corrosion on stonework around the pool, as well as heaters rusting out. Figured UV might be the way to go. It helps reduce the need of chlorine, or at least helps reduce the amount you have to add. Time will tell.... :wink:

flyboy320 said:
teapot said:
Figured UV might be the way to go. It helps reduce the need of chlorine, or at least helps reduce the amount you have to add. Time will tell.... :wink:
Unless you have a fairly high bather load pool, I don't think the UV is going to reduce your chlorine demand and indeed could actually increase it as UV breaks down chlorine (though the UV lamps output tends to break down more monochloramine than chlorine). After all, it is the UV in sunlight that breaks down chlorine.

The best way to reduce chlorine demand is to use a pool cover that is opaque to the UV in sunlight.

Most of the newer heaters are designed for salt pool use.
Especially the cupro-nickel and titanium heat exchanger ones should have no problems with salt.

Just to rest your mind at ease, consider my older LAARS heater specifically does NOT warranty against salt in the warranty verbage. You may be able to read the warranty yourself and determine if a salt pool is covered under warranty and you should be good.

Lee

Flyboy as i see you have listed the delta UV in your signature I presume you have already made your purchase.

I used to have a report on low pressure vs medium pressure uv systems but it was a while ago and I cannot locate it.

teapot said:
Flyboy as i see you have listed the delta UV in your signature I presume you have already made your purchase.

I used to have a report on low pressure vs medium pressure uv systems but it was a while ago and I cannot locate it.

I have already purchased it and it's installed, but pool won't be ready for another two weeks, so haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Thanks for looking anyways... :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.