Added Depth for Intex Metal Frame Pool

Aug 28, 2009
This is probably a dumb question, but I have an 18' metal frame pool by intex, 52" sides.

I am going to be moving the pool and have to do some dirt work to prep the area. I'm also building a deck around it.

I'd love to get some more depth out of the middle of it by digging down a bit. I'm not sure how the floors of these are constructed in terms of stretch. Is it possible to do this? Will the liner stretch?

Crazy idea...what about "extending" the depth by cutting the liner bottom, and "patching" it with a new floor, effectively creating a new floor/wall combo?

Thanks in advance.

I know that this will not answer your question, I will leave that to the pro's that visit this site. But last summer, we had that exact pool and this was not done intentionally, but we ended up with a deep end due to poor leveling. The structure held together just fine but we did occasionally have to adjust a couple of the poles from time to time. It seems that the offset water level put a little more pressure on that side of the pool and the poles would slide out from the bottom. Our deep end (as we called it) wound up being about 3 inches deeper than the rest of the pool. I have been browsing this site for about 3 weeks now since I have started my new project, so to say the least I have learned that it is not advisable due to the stress on the structure, and any warranty you have left could be jeapordized. Don't make it too deep. If you plan to do it regardless, take your time and make your changes in the ground work a little at a time and recheck as you go to see how the pool looks. It will try to pull in too making the top of your pool smaller than the bottom. :hammer:

Good luck, and be careful.

You will need to figure out some way to keep the legs from pulling in. As the water fills, it will want to pull the sides of the pool into the center, pulling the bottom of the legs in.
If you were able to connect the legs together so that they could not be pulled in, it might work.
Or, instead of attaching the legs together maybe you could sink an extension pipe into the ground, fit your legs over that pipe. That way you will be able to take the pool down in the fall and still have a stable leg.
As far as the cutting and patching, I am in the process right now on trying to put a stardard AG skimmer on my Ultra-Frame. I want to reinforce the area around the skimmer with additional material. I think that I have found the material that I will be using, PVC shower pan liner. I have just glued (using PVC shower pan glue) 2 circles of pool material onto the PVC and am going to put the sample into a container of pool water to see if the glue holds up. Will post about this.
Mike

mcoonan said:
You will need to figure out some way to keep the legs from pulling in. As the water fills, it will want to pull the sides of the pool into the center, pulling the bottom of the legs in.
If you were able to connect the legs together so that they could not be pulled in, it might work.
Or, instead of attaching the legs together maybe you could sink an extension pipe into the ground, fit your legs over that pipe. That way you will be able to take the pool down in the fall and still have a stable leg.
As far as the cutting and patching, I am in the process right now on trying to put a stardard AG skimmer on my Ultra-Frame. I want to reinforce the area around the skimmer with additional material. I think that I have found the material that I will be using, PVC shower pan liner. I have just glued (using PVC shower pan glue) 2 circles of pool material onto the PVC and am going to put the sample into a container of pool water to see if the glue holds up. Will post about this.
Mike

I also want to do the skimmer, so please post how it works.

My thought, since I am building a deck around the pool is to anchor the legs of the deck, then anchor the pool legs to the deck legs. It won't be hard to simply put the deck legs in the right place.

My pool has that support rope that threads through the bottom around the perimeter. I think it might be possible to use those as well and provide additional anchors somehow (or just use the legs the way it is normally.)

I think my main question/concern is how much stretch I can get out of the floor of the pool. I would love to hear thoughts on this. If I could go down a foot 2 feet in, that would be perfect, and easy to cut out of the dirt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.