pool almost full......these numbers scare me.

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
almost to the skimmer (soon to be skimmer, not yet cut out)

ph 7.1
TA 450
CH 380-400 (is it light blue?)
CL 1.0 (added bleach last night)
CYA none yet added

been areating fill water........but numbers are holding. pumps should be running tomorrow. should i go ahead and add acid today? i can stir it up.
what pH should i shoot for?
starting second areator (sump pump with hose back into pool)

please forgive mult posts (need all the help i can get)

Cal, you don't need acid yet. pH of 7.1 is as low as you want. Acid will lower it further.

Put a little more Cl in there. The Sun will quickly burn it up until you get the CYA in so I suggest putting it in in the late evening. Enough to get you up to 4-6ppm (which will burn off the next day so be prepared to add a little Cl each evening 'til your CYA takes effect)

Without seeing your other posts, I assume your trying to lower TA. Keeping all your posts in one thread is extremely helpful. Others can easily see your whole story and it will eliminate guessing and repetitive info. It sounds like you're not getting enough aeration to reduce TA. The more bubbles you create, the quicker the process will go.

induce said:
almost to the skimmer (soon to be skimmer, not yet cut out)

ph 7.1
TA 450
CH 380-400 (is it light blue?)
CL 1.0 (added bleach last night)
CYA none yet added

been areating fill water........but numbers are holding. pumps should be running tomorrow. should i go ahead and add acid today? i can stir it up.
what pH should i shoot for?
starting second areator (sump pump with hose back into pool)

please forgive mult posts (need all the help i can get)

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, our only water supply is from a well, so the TA in the fill is 500. I'm following Ben's advice from PF on lowering TA, with help from Richard (chem geek) and others. Your tip on threads is appreciated.
just started 2nd areator.......so i guess sit back and wait.
my pb suggested "slugging" muratic acid to help. this is prob from the Taylor guide. won't this just mildly help and even push my 7.1 pH down into the 6's and compound the problem?

Hi, Cal,

Yes, I agree with you....do not add acid (yet). Rather, aerate as vigorously as you and the equipment are capable. As your pH rises a little, you can add acid in small increments to hold the pH in the 7.0-7.2 range.

Again, the higher volume of air you can put into the water, the faster the process will be.

Dave

induce said:
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, our only water supply is from a well, so the TA in the fill is 500. I'm following Ben's advice from PF on lowering TA, with help from Richard (chem geek) and others. Your tip on threads is appreciated.
just started 2nd areator.......so i guess sit back and wait.
my pb suggested "slugging" muratic acid to help. this is prob from the Taylor guide. won't this just mildly help and even push my 7.1 pH down into the 6's and compound the problem?

We have movement!!
just a bit.......pH7.5 TA 400
add acid, stirred with the net. pump still not up. PB called and said in am.
I took a much needed motorcycle ride thru the hills of Tennessee. 1st ride since 12/06. Man, what a day. 80+ temp, not a cloud in the sky!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.