Opening Pool - Very High Free Chlorine

Thanks for the DE suggestion. Will give that a try. Have used that tactic in the past and don't know why I didn't think of it this year. I think that my pressure gauge is bad (as suggested by another TFP Member). When filter is clean, starting PSI is 32 (been that way for a few years). Runs at about 20 in "Recirculate" mode. I plan to change the gauge soon. I'll add a little DE and backwash when it hits 40. If I recall, the technique is to add DE slowly and incrementally 1/4 cup at a time) through the skimmer and keep an eye on the pressure. If PSI increases a bit, then stop adding. Is that correct?

Current readings (overnight):
FC 19.5 (maybe a .5 drop overnight, if even that)
CC 0
Did not do other tests this morning due to high FC.

Pool still cloudy... little progress from yesterday. Hoping the DE will help. Can't believe this is a FC problem as I have had no CC for days. When we visit the pool store, they say FC is way too high.

My plan is to let FC come down to normal range, retest everything when FC is under 10, add DE, filter 24/7 and backwash when needed.

Any thoughts or other ideas are appreciated. Thanks again for all the help. It's been a frustrating start-up this year!

8:52 am Test:
FC 19.5
CC 0

It is HOT and sunny here in Chicago today. Pool in full sun. Wish we were in it!!!!

1:40 pm Reading:
FC 13
CC 0

Added DE this morning and just backwashed. Didn't realize I would be backwashing this soon. Pool is a tad clearer. Just added some more DE and also adding some fill water.

Will report test results when FC is under 10.

If you are planning on letting the FC fall to validate the pH, that's fine, but bump it back up right away so you don't lose the progress you've made. Ignore the pool store comments about elevated chlorine. That just tells you they do not understand the CYA/FC relationship. Maintain the SLAM level and brush, backwash, and inspect everything you can. Chlorine will do the trick, but it takes time. PS - No need for the clarifier. :)

How 'cloudy' is the pool? Can you see your brush head at the bottom of the deep end?

I am asking because you can swim in a pool at SLAM levels of FC. You do need to be able to see the bottom of the deep end for safety purposes.

Take care.

Yes..... I can see the main drain, vacuum head, etc. at bottom of the deep end. They look kind of like that dot in the CYA test just before it disappears. ;) I thought it was unsafe to go into a pool after shocking until it came down to maintenance levels. If it's safe, that takes a lot of pressure off. Family really wants to swim!!! We are having one of the hottest Memorial Day weekends in quite a while. I would like to do all the test again to see where I'm at probably tonight and then will bring the FC back up. I should get FC to under 10 for accurate tests, right? If pH is a bit high I want to bring that down first before bringing up FC again, right?

100% sure it's safe for everyone to be in the pool at FC 20 and above as long as we can see the bottom??? I don't think my wife will believe me.

Absolutely. The Active chlorine in a pool at SLAM level FC based on the CYA is far less than that in a public pool with 2 ppm FC.

Go swimming man! No one will even notice ----

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry -- yes on the pH. If you believe you need to check it, you need to get your FC to 10 or so.

But I am not sure you should worry about. Only thing that could have made the pH go up is aeration or fill water.

If you let the FC drop to 10 or below to validate the pH, then adjust if necessary and get the FC back up. I don't recall your SLAM FC level right now, but if it's 20 for example, then as long as you don't go over 20 you are fine to swim. Just refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to be sure based on your current CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha. Me & Marty seem to be catching your updates at the same time. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You guys have been great. Pool opening time can be stressful. Really helps to have good guidance. Very glad to know we can swim during this HOT Memorial Day Weekend. That really takes a lot of pressure off.
Current readings:
FC 9.5
CC <.5
pH 7.4
TA 130
CYA 20? (I can still barely see the dot when I fill the tube with the west sun to my back. Can definitely see it at 30. Could CYA have dropped from 50 to 20 with new fill water? This is by far the hardest test of all to get an accurate measurement (at least for me anyway).

If I call it 30 CYA, then I need to get FC back up to 12.

PoolMath tells me to add 6 cups of chlorine. Doing that now and will test FC, CC and double check CYA again in the morning.

CYA does go down due to water exchange, one way is backflushing your filter.

It also is oxidized very slowly by the sun.

If you are a bit low, add some.

I see your pH is fine. Get that FC up.

Take care.

Could CYA have dropped from 50 to 20 with new fill water?
It shouldn't just from adding new water (top-offs), but it does from water exchange. Plus, a little can get consumed a each month. Best to ensure it's at 30 minimum for good FC protection form the sun, and yes .. use "12" as your SLAM level. :)

Thanks guys. Will touch base when I take next readings tomorrow. Feel like I'm on my way to a clean, clear pool. So great to know that we can use the pool while completing the SLAM. We are in the mid-90s in Chicago for the next two days! Getting the pool up to comfortable temps right now.

Latest reading at 8:00 am CST:
FC 11.5
CC 0
CYA 20? (I wanted to recheck this and I CAN just see the dot with tube completely full.

Pool is definitely clearing, but not where it needs to be yet. Some sediment in bottom of pool. PSI has risen by about 4 overnight.

PLAN:
Keep CYA at 12 until pool completely clears. Need to add 1 cup this morning per PoolMath.
Vacuum sediment to waste.
Continue to backwash, as needed.
Add CYA to bring it up to 30. Need to add 14 oz. per PoolMath.

Sound like a plan? Any thing else I should be doing?

To add CYA I am going to put required amount in an old skimmer sock, but not sure how I can hang it in the front of the skimmer. Is it okay to just place it in the skimmer basket (after taking off the skimmer basket sock) or is it best to try to suspend it somehow in or near the skimmer?

I hope to be sending a pic of my clean CLEAR pool in a day or two! Thanks again for everything. All the support has been great!

You can put the CYA in your sock in the skimmer basket as you are running your pump 24/7.

Or, if you are getting in the pool today, just squeeze it and dissolve it while you are in the pool. That is what I do. I use an old tube sock (no holes!).

Yes. I simply fill to a line, glance, see the dot, fill to line, glance, etc until I no longer see the dot at a glance.

Using this method, is the CYA reading the number when you last saw the dot..... or the number when you can no longer see the dot? For example, I see the dot at 50, but can't see it at 40, is my CYA 40 or 50?

Also, I did not quite have enough Stabilizer to raise it from 20 to 30 (about 2 oz. short). Could I start floating Trichlor Tabs to keep FC up and add a little CYA?
is the

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.