Opening Pool - Very High Free Chlorine

Thanks, Kerry. Will definitely get that gasket and top assembly replaced this week based on your experience. Just need to pick up some glue for that gasket. Mine is leaking anyway, so it needs to be replaced. Will post again after doing that repair and running the filter for a few days and let you know if the pool is any clearer. You always turn the handle on a multi-port valve in the same direction, right? I assume it doesn't matter which was you go as long as you always turn it in the same direction. Thanks again.

I installed a new top assembly, spider gasket, and o-ring on my Hayward SP710 Multiport Filter Valve this evening. It was a fairly simple job that any DIY pool owner can do with a little guidance. I am letting it sit overnight and will start the filter back up in the morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this repair will help clear up what has been a frustratingly cloudy pool this year. I contacted Hayward about my leaky valve and they said it could definitely contribute to a cloudy pool, i.e., some pool water bypassing the filter and re-entering the pool. The spider gasket needs to be glued in place and the old one that was in there was not!

Thank you, KerryR for suggesting that the leaky filter valve may be the source of my cloudy pool. I am anxious to see how the pool looks after filtering tomorrow. Will send picks of the before and after if this does the trick and clears up the pool.

Turned on the pump this morning (after changing the top assembly on my filter valve last night) and it is running better than ever! No wetness around the equipment any more, no air in system, and pool water is getting clearer. Latest readings (this morning):
FC - 3.0
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 100 -110 (do you count the last drop when the sample is no longer green and it turns to a light purple..... or does it have to be a definite red?)
CH (didn't test)
CYA (didn't test, need more reagent)

I think it was definitely that leaky filter valve that was contributing to my cloudy pool..... not a need for more chlorine. Should have changed it long ago. Live and learn!

Adding a bit of chlorine today and will maintain at around 4.0. Need to test that CYA also.

Based on the information on this site, I think I am going to use up what I have left of TriChlor Tabs and a few bags of Cal Hypo.... then I am switching to liquid chlorine to maintain FC from now on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.