Duda Diesel Bag/When Should I Wash it Out

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I've had my Duda Bag on my return jet for a bit. Let's see...Mmmmmm maybe a week. My psi on my filter remains at 15, so it doesn't look like I need to backwash or anything. Anyhow, my question is this...How often do I clean out my Duda bag. I'm not sure if I should clean it out now or wait to do this every month or every week?

Any suggestions!!! It looks to be too soon to start cleaning it out, but I'm wondering what other peoples' experience is on the frequency of cleaning their Duda Bags on their return jets.

IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0330.jpg

I would think everyone’s experience would be different. I don’t use those, but I do replace my skimmer’s hairnet every few days. If there’s stuff in there, clean it out!

Re: Duda Diesel Bag - Pictures - No Sand

So I took my Duda bag out and there's hardly anything in it. It's dirty, but I don't see much activity in the bag itself. I guess that's a good sign. I put the bag back on the return jet. Question: do you just wash the bag out and re-use it, or do you buy a new one all together?

IMG_0363.jpgIMG_0366.jpg

Yeah! I got my hairnets (100 for $10), but this picture is actually the Duda Bag that I put on my return jet a while back (see pic). When I took off the bag, there wasn't really anything in it. I was expecting to see sand ... enough for me to clean it out... but there really wasn't any sand. A few bugs only.
IMG_0331.jpg

I rinse my duda diesel 5 micron bag after every use in a 24 hr pump run whether my water is crystal clear or not. Sometimes I get pollen on the water surface that my skimmer sock and duda diesel bag collects. I rinse my bag either by pressure washing it or I rinse it with the hose in my kitchen sink. I run my bag after every rinse until I know for a fact my water is clear when there is little to no buildup in the bag or skimmer sock. Usually my pressure only goes up 1 psi when the bag is attached. However I know what the water feels like leaving the bag through the return jet, even after a good rinsing. There is usually a bit of back pressure on the bag, and the filtered water pushes through slowly. The reason why I searched for this this evening, it's because my bag has been in use for 3 years now, and has still shown its effectiveness. However last night I decided to rinse my bag and then I ran it through the washing machine with my socks and some bleach, then dried it. I noticed that when I reattached it today, there is more than usual significant amount of water flowing through it. I don't know as of yet if this is a result of washing in the bleach, and potentially breaking down the fine fibers in the washing machine, or just because it's that clean, and its going to need some run time to build up some residue to filter more effectively?... I wish I remembered what the water felt like leaving the bag when I first bought it 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure I don't remember there being that much water flow being able to pass through it out of the box.

Will report back on the subject. Might even buy another one at 1 micron just for the heck of it since I am compulsive about water clarity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The duda diesel bag is something experimental that someone on here suggested to me 3 years ago as a secondary means of filtration.

The bag should run about $5 to $9.
They are really meant for filtering oil in commercial applications but suit water just fine. They come with a metal or plastic ring, that I have just cut off, and I reattach the fabric to a 90 deg elbow with a hose clamp.

You want single polyester felt heat treated, not coated, bag size
4" x14",
I would choose between 5 and 1 micron. That's up to you. Keep in mind the finer the micron, the more back pressure and psi you will be incurring on your pump from the resistance of the finely woven material, and depending how much particles in the water you catch. So keep an eye in you're pressure gague every hour or so.

Here is the eBay link.
Sewn Industrial Filter Sock Bags Water Liquid Biodiesel WVO Oil Dust Fuel Diesel | eBay

You can order a slime bag which is meant specifically for pools that accomplish the same exact thing, but I feel they are inferior, and a waste of $$$ $20-30.

At least with the duda diesel bag you can select your micron level depending on your needs.

Here is another little tip I realized on here from last year. When you allow any filter to dry out after cleaning, the fibers slightly shrink, allowing better filtration, even if temporary.

Yeah! I really wish I get alerts when I have replies...LOL... I was just outside looking at my Duda Bag and was wondering if anyone replied to my post again.

My pool was cloudy before I put the Duda Bag on...it's clear now. I'm struggling as to weather to keep using the Duda bag or not.

I wondered why you got the bags. Your pool looked pretty clear already!

Hi!
Thanks for this information Robert.

Though I said that I was going to clean mine out, I haven't touched it... (I know..not good). I'm going to clean it out now.

I rinse my duda diesel 5 micron bag after every use in a 24 hr pump run whether my water is crystal clear or not. Sometimes I get pollen on the water surface that my skimmer sock and duda diesel bag collects. I rinse my bag either by pressure washing it or I rinse it with the hose in my kitchen sink. I run my bag after every rinse until I know for a fact my water is clear when there is little to no buildup in the bag or skimmer sock. Usually my pressure only goes up 1 psi when the bag is attached. However I know what the water feels like leaving the bag through the return jet, even after a good rinsing. There is usually a bit of back pressure on the bag, and the filtered water pushes through slowly. The reason why I searched for this this evening, it's because my bag has been in use for 3 years now, and has still shown its effectiveness. However last night I decided to rinse my bag and then I ran it through the washing machine with my socks and some bleach, then dried it. I noticed that when I reattached it today, there is more than usual significant amount of water flowing through it. I don't know as of yet if this is a result of washing in the bleach, and potentially breaking down the fine fibers in the washing machine, or just because it's that clean, and its going to need some run time to build up some residue to filter more effectively?... I wish I remembered what the water felt like leaving the bag when I first bought it 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure I don't remember there being that much water flow being able to pass through it out of the box.

Will report back on the subject. Might even buy another one at 1 micron just for the heck of it since I am compulsive about water clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where I got my 90 degree elbow.. Hayward SPX1105Z4 - 1-1/2-Inch MPT by Barb Elbow Hose Adapter

Is there anything special I need to know about the 90 degree elbow like the type of threads? A bit new at this.

I'm going to order one of these today as well, and the 90 degree elbow is a great idea....

I don't know about your return pressure, but mine is super aggressive. I think if it was shooting straight out the hose clamp would have a hard time holding onto the bag. Since I'm a computer engineer, I didn't take fluid dynamics, but I get the impression that the 90 degree bend would make the jet a little less aggressive? Plus it takes less horizontal space which is precious when you only have a 21' diameter circle to float in like me.

Does anyone have a link handy for the 4x14" bag on Amazon instead of eBay?

I just wanted to post back here about my Duda Diesel Bag....

It has worked CRAZY WELL! I still can't believe how crystal clear the pool is.

What are you recommendations are for frequency of cleaning the bag?

Unfortunately I lose the circular current in my round AG pool now that I lost the eyeball... any clever ideas to get a directional flow going in the pool but through the bag?

G

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.