right size pump?

Jun 26, 2009
is a 1.5 hp pump too much for my pool? i think it maybe based on info on this website? if it is too large for my pool, what kind of problems will it cause? do i need a new pump? also my pump is a single speed

We have a 1-1/2 hp pump on our pool and it works great. It could stand to be either a 2-speed or a 1 hp but the 1-1/2 hp works great. Besides it only takes 3.5 hrs to get a turnover so I get more than 2 a day running 8 hours. The biggest thing it does is uses more power but I compensate by running it less.

That's not bad. I suspect you have an uprated 1.5 hp pump which, in reality is around a 1hp pump.

Anyway, the important thing is your pump appears to match your filter pretty well and you should have no problems. Generally a .75 full-rated pump is adequate for your size pool but the filter/pump match is a more important than the precise hp.

I think you're in good shape.

I run a 0.5hp full rated with no problems...most energy efficient for a typical abg pool IMHO...the problem with a 1.5hp is not that it won't do the job, it that 1.5 inch pipe doesn't allow it to pump at full capacity, therfore wasting energy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.