Well this is crazy, pool green in 1 hr...copper I assume - party tonight. :(

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
I have been slamming the pool as it was a bit cloudy earlier this week. This morning, I passed the OCLT. Here were the levels.

FC: 13
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.7 (need to lower a bit, and not sure of accuracy, given FC over 10)
TA: 90
CH: 130
CYA: 50

Salwater, Vinyl pool. Will bring CYA up now that slam is over.

Anyway, I turned on hose to add some water to the pool, and ran kids to school and stopped at store. Pool was CRYSTAL clear before I added water. Got back, and a very obvious green tint. ARGH! Never...not my pool! Of course, tonight, my daughter has a pasta party for her high school lacrosse teammates. I don't want to just start dropping in metal coagulants without advice. I read some stuff here at TFP, but couldn't come to an opinion on if I can do something to solve this by 5pm tonight. :(

Any advice?

Thanks.

Where is your house water from? Wells?

It's not a personal well. Delivered via a water company, but they get it from wells. Never had this problem before. They treat the water and all that, but no idea if that gets metals out. Occasioannly, if you fill a tub, it may have a slight tinge of brown. Added water earlier in the week, and no issues.

I actually just diluted my pool water 1:1 with distilled water, tested FC and it was 7, and pH was 7.4, so that seems ok. I'm so bummed for my daughter's party tonight.

Sounds like iron.

Put pillow fluff or paper towels in your skimmer. See if they turn brown.

It might go away (temporarily) if FC drops or you are able to filter it out.

If you can see the bottom of the pool, it is safe to swim in.

Take care.

I agree it sounds like iron. I have this same problem with my municipal fill water which is on a well system. I treat it with hth metal and stain defense from Wal-Mart which has the chemical that TFP recommends in it.

I have found that if I don’t have enough sequestrant in the water it will turn a green tint and eventually will start staining return orifices and steps. Usually adding more sequestrant will remove the green tint within a few hours. If it comes back later add more.

Iron? Ok. I can see bottom yes. I will grab some of that stuff from WM.

Is the sequestrant you are talking about what is in the HTH chemical you mentioned from WM? What is it? Walmart seems to have changed to clorox brand stuff, so want to be sure I get the right active ingredient.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

The above is from the Deep End forum. Look for those ingredients.

Jacks Magic or ProTeam's Metal Magic are well regarded here.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the water would be good enough to take a bath in or drink it should be good enough to swim in. I wouldnt let some cosmetics stop fun in the pool.

Municipality water systems from wells can turn specific wells on and off so your water quality can vary at times. They ensure the water is safe to drink but dont care as mich about the water clarity.

I have just followed the bottle directions. When my water had the green tint last year I would add the recommended amount and it would clear for several hours and then go back green. I kept adding the recommended dose until it cleared for good.

You can also make a 5 gallon bucket filter. Just a larger version of using paper towels in the skimmer. Google it. Looks foolish, but works. I went from pea soup green to sparkling in 2 days. I don't use sequestrant because mother nature keeps my pool full. It's cheap, easy and gets the oxidized iron out for good.

Thanks. So these filter systems are how you use your garden hose to add water to the pool and keep the iron out?

You guys saved me though, thanks for such a quick response. My daughter is relieved!

I added the HTH metal cleaner from walmart. Within 15 minutes, it was clearing and continues to. Here's the before pic, and then 15 min after adding. It has 5 more hrs before anyone shows.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.