Liner tearing

Jun 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Uncovered the pool yesterday for the first time this season. Noticed some long tears above the surface of the water. I suspect it's from the liner shrinking when the water temps drop in the winter and pulling. Just wondering if the liner could be loosened along this area and can the liner be patched? Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Justin
0f4259fd0a99e2141725e169f18cdd9b.jpg
6a92d56941414c3b9cd3aa1bb628ee21.jpg

How old is that liner? Is this on the sunny side of the pool or the shade side?
At least 5 to 7 years old, but not sure. This is on the shady side. I suspect that the ph was on the low side for a significant period of time and the calcarb was solublized/leached out. There is a lot of wrinkling in the floor. I'll get a better idea of how old the liner is later.

It can be patched but that is going to be a LOT of patching. Low PH is a liner killer for sure :( That is one of the things that ruined my last pool....low ph, HIGH CYA=liner "rotting" in the water..............GUSH of water as the cracks on the bottom broke and let the whole pool go rushing!

Patching-THREE patches- on just over the area with curved corners instead of sharp corners. Then another patch about 1/2" bigger over that one THEN the last one over both of those and even bigger!

I would see about a liner replacement though as when it goes it is gong to go big and could cause bigger problem with side and bottom wash out :(

Liner failures tend to be horizontal at the water line on the sunny side of the pool. So this somewhat seems like this is your pool saying I need a new liner soon. If this were on teh sunny side, I would have been more confident in my answer.

If I were you, I might try to patch it, and keep an eye on it. And while I have no personal experience with it, once patched, I might then get some clear Flex Seal Tape and place along the entire rip in a single piece. This will give some added strength.

Yev, I was just coming back to check on this thread. I was thinking the same thing and even going to say lets go a step further...........run the tape all the way around the pool to be on the extra safe side!

That is the tape I was referring to. I'm not sure if that is or is not the best patch to use. But I would figure out the patch, let it dry, then add the tape. Horizontal tears are the worst for liners, because people pushing on the liners, and the weight of the water all want to pull the horizontal tear further and further apart. This is why I think that after letting the patch dry, the tape can only help. Again, I have never used teh tape, only seen ads, but seems like a good fit. I hope your liner lasts years to come, but those horizontal tears tend to spell doom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.