Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: metal frame intex question

1. Back To Top    #1

metal frame intex question

I know intex says no but has anyone that has cold winters (below freezing) leave there intex metal frame pool up all winter? I know a permanent one would be best but just wondering.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: metal frame intex question

This would be a very bad idea. The water would freeze solid, which would expand and burst the seams, and once it thawed, big water issues. Mine is 3 years old, and there are very small rust spots in some places, even with putting it away for the winter.

Your other option would be to just drain it and lay the pool itself on the ground, and leave the frame in place. It only takes a couple of hours to take it down and put it up...not worth the chances in my opinion.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I wouldn't leave all the water would take it down to half way at least. I am planing on taking it down every year but was just checking if anyone had any success in leaving it up.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

4. Back To Top    #4

Ahh...I had thought about that same thing. i'm building a deck around my 18' 52" pool (metal frame like yours) next year, and would prefer if I could some how "leave it up."

My main concern would be the freeze/thaw cycles. We get big chunks of ice on our trampoline, and man, as the edges melt, they are like razors. I would be concerned that as the under-water melts, the floating chunk might move a bit and damage the sides.

What I was considering is anchoring the base of the pool to the ground, as well as the top to the deck, draining it completely, then covering it with a winter cover to keep water and **** out of the pool.

It's not a lot of water, but i guess if you're on city water, it might be expensive. We're on a well, so it's really cheap (pump electric only to get the water moved) to just dump and refill.

Do you think that would work?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

5. Back To Top    #5

Might work maybe someone will see it with more knowledge about the metal frame pools. How cold are your winters?
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

6. Back To Top    #6

Pretty darned cold. We'll be below freezing constantly after Thanksgiving usually, and we typically see -35 to -42 below for a couple of weeks in January...nice and toasty! ;->
    Richard
    Temecula, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm in New England and have been debating on leaving my metal frame up or take it down. I'm now leaning towards taking it down I don't want to take any chances with the water leaking out.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi guys, same situation for me in the UK, am tempted to leave up but maybe partially drained, obviously will drain pump filter and pipework etc.

I am not sure why this is such a big issue as the water if frozen would expand upwards no ? also the intex pool liners are fairly flexible so I dont see it as a problem ....

Or am I missing something ?
    Paul Jennings .....Kent ... UK (cold or colder)

16ft x 4ft Intex 5000 gallon above ground pool, 32" x 16" Doughboy sandfilter, Doughboy 3/4hp pump, 9kw Elecro heater, 11/2" pipework, 400 micron bubble cover.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Jennings
    Hi guys, same situation for me in the UK, am tempted to leave up but maybe partially drained, obviously will drain pump filter and pipework etc.

I am not sure why this is such a big issue as the water if frozen would expand upwards no ? also the intex pool liners are fairly flexible so I dont see it as a problem ....

Or am I missing something ?
    My concern is not the expansion factor, but the sharpness factor at the edge of the ice when it's not frozen solid. The stuff on our tramp could cut a roast at the edge of it.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA