large stained areas in deep end of pool

tvgirl

Jun 26, 2009
I was battling a green pool for months and months and now my pool is actually clear and functioning properly. I had all the plumbing replaced and a working backwash valve installed, along with a new grids for the DE filter (and a new pump!! ). It took nearly a week to clear a swampy pool once I had all the proper valves working.

The issue I am having now is the dark stains in the deep end. I have tried brushing with a wire brush, sprinking additional chlorinating granules but am still not seeing much change. When the pool was green, there had been quite a bit of decomposed leaves which became muddy sitting for sometime. The muddy texture at the deep end is what apparently stained the pool.

I am just wondering why it hasn't lifted yet, because now my pool has been clear for 5 days. I think my pool may have even been WORSE last year, until I eventually drained it. The stains were there at the time as well, but lifted quickly once the water and chlorine hit it. SO why now am I struggling????

Any suggestions on how to get those stains up? I am not sure if it could be black algae, it really just appears to be large patches of blackish. The pool is about 8-10 ft deep in that area, so using trichlor tablets to rub out the stains won't work and I am having trouble putting enough force behind the wire brush. Will an algaecide help or just heavy doses of chlorine?

looking forward to your suggestions!! thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What I'd do is drop a trichlor tab on the stain and just let it sit for a while, and see if that has an effect. (Turn off the pool cleaner if you have one, so the tab really does sit in one place.) If the tab clears up a spot, you know it's organic and chlorine will get it out; if trichlor has no effect then it's something else and you'll need to do different experiments to see what it is.
--paulr

If the Trichlor tab doesn't work, then it could be metal staining. To test this, use the sock trick: put some dry acid (sodium bisulphate) in a sock, and let it sit on part of the stain. If it lifts where the sock has been after a few minutes then it could well be metal staining. If you suspect metal staining it's worth getting a sample of your pool water checked by your local company for metals - iron, copper and/or manganese are usually the culprits.

What to do now???? Thx for the advice... The tablet lifted the stain where it fell. Now what though... Do I really have to keep shifting around the tablet till the entire area clears??!! ( The entire deep end is stained)

I tried overchlorinating it days ago - sprinkling lots of chlor granules in deep end, but didn't seem to do much.

The tablet sitting there over night did the trick, but the area is very large so how do I get the entire deep end clear?

I alsi have a lot of discolred patches, bit it's just faded concrete/plaster.. So I guess nothing I could do @ that unless I drain and paint? Errrr... Should have done that last year when I drained pool!

??? What should I do?

Girst issue is getting rid of stains from leaves, decomposed gook that was sitting for months - that's the stain in the deep end

tvgirl said:
Thanks Paul!!

I just threw a tablet in the deep end.

I'll check in again in the morning.

By far, the best way to remove large organic stains is with elevated chlorine levels. Please post your latest test results (including FC, CH, pH, TA, and CYA) and we can help you determine just how high they should be.

tvgirl said:
I tried overchlorinating it days ago - sprinkling lots of chlor granules in deep end, but didn't seem to do much.

Without posting a full set of results, we can't give you the most appropriate advice. Usually organic staining fades with proper FC levels, so we need to know your current results, especially FC, CC and CYA. Please post a full set.

Seconding what duraleigh and fpm said. Bring FC up "high enough" and keep it there until the stain is all gone; will be faster and less painful than scooting trichlor tabs all over the deep end. But we can't tell you what "high enough" means without some test results to work with.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.