eliminating localized algae hideouts

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
We have a few deferred maintenance projects in our 1950's era fiberglass IG pool - the fiberglass has some chips and cracks and some of the tile grout below the waterline has been eroding away. So after a lot of bleaching, brushing, and filtering to get our pool looking algae-free with nice clear looking water and a FAC of around 5, I still see what looks like green algae hiding in the eroded tile grout and mustard in the fiberglass chips along the waterline. Any suggestions for keeping these things in check until we get the fiberglass and tile issues taken care of - I've brushed out the grout with a bleach-soaked old toothbrush before but am afraid I'll end up eroding away more of the grout.

You might want to try a Yellow Treat or Green Treat. Regardless I only use this product when the FC is on target and algae still forms in some areas, which is kinda the problem you have. It will create a demand for chlorine since it will convent the current chlorine to bromine which isn't UV stable so having a chlorinator of some sort will help you greatly when using this product. There is also Yellow Out but I find it to be more expensive than Yellow Treat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.