Drained pool and refilled

casejenn

Silver Supporter
May 21, 2018
Honoraville/Alabama
Drained pool and ready to get it in shape.

FC - 3
TC - 3
PH - 8.0 that is the highest number but the color was darker
TA - 425
CH - turned blue or purple no matter what I did. Even used the distilled water and it made no difference so I don't know what to do there.
CYA - 30

What kind of pool do you have?

Wow, your TA and PH are high. Where did Water come from?

Need to lower that PH with muriatic acid, use Pool Math to figure out how much.

Whoa... is there an extra digit in the number you gave?

I would use liquid. You should be able to get the 31% at Home Depot or Lowe’s. Measure carefully, making sure not to breathe in fumes. I wear glasses when I do it, just in case. I have a separate measuring cup that I use just for MA.

Pour it slowly in front of a return while pump is on, and wait 30 minutes before adding chlorine. Lastly, don’t store MA and chlorine together.

Hang on, I’m going to check Pool Math for the amount to add.

- - - Updated - - -

How many gallons of water in your pool?

Whew, you did have an extra digit in there! Gave me a bit of a jolt.

Ok, using approximately 17,200 gallons for pool volume, you’ll need to add 185 ounces (about 1.25 gallons) of 31.45% MA. Keep in mind that because we don’t actually know if your PH is 8 or even higher, you likely will have to test and add more.

- - - Updated - - -

Your pool is 17,200 gallons, not 172,000 gallons. That would be huge!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I felt like I was not testing correctly so I went to Leslie Pool with a sample. I bought reagent while I was there. I told the guy what I was doing and he told me that their test may be a little higher than the test I have at home. So I get home and test the water. I was doing the test wrong, especially the CYA. I go to the extended test here and helped me so much. The dot never disappeared. Repeated CYA test couple times to make sure I was doing it right.

FC - 7.5
PH - 7.6
TA - 300
CH - 50
CYA - 0

I put these numbers in PoolMath @ 17200 gallons of water and got my results. Went to WalMart purchased chlorine stabilizer. I put in 5 lbs 12 oz. I was not sure how to do this so I started searching in the forum. I used panty hose sock filled it with 4 lbs of the stabilizer and let it hang in the pool to dissolve. I squeezed it every so often till it dissolved then I did the rest of it.

This morning I tested my water

FC - 10
TC - 10
PH - 7.6
TA - 300
CYA - 60

I was wondering why my FC and CYA was so high. I realized that maybe out of habit or something I put 3 tablets in the floater and put it in the pool over night. The tablets are the Clorox extra blue so I took the tablets out of the floater and got rid of all the tablets. So here I am with better looking water but it is still cloudy. I have a 25 lb tub of Focus brand CH increaser. Will this brand be ok the use to increase the CH?

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to put the CH result.

CH - 30

I believe your pool is a vinyl liner. Add that to your signature if you could.

CH in. Vinyl liner pool is not a concern unless very high. Yours is low. If you see foaming you may wish to raise it to 100 ppm. But otherwise no need to add any calcium.

Take care

CH (calcium) does not matter for an above ground pool.

Chlorine tablets have CYA in them. Use them long term and you can end up with too much CYA. Thats why folks here recommend using bleach for CL.

My CYA continued to climb to 80. I waited till my FAS-DPD arrived before I did anything else to the pool. I tested everything again nothing had changed, not even the FC. I went to PoolMath to enter my information. I drained approximately 43% of my pool and refilled.

My test results this morning:

FC - 10.5
CC - .5
PH -10
TA - 325
CYA - 60

I wanted to post this morning before I do anything. My pool looks better but still a little cloudy.

I know your pH is not 10. What is it? Re do that test if you can.

Your TA is not 325 as the test is gauged in the 10's.

Did you follow Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

You will want to SLAM Process. Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for your CYA. Your SLAM level FC will be 24 ppm.

When high TA is anticipated multiply drops by 25. 13 drops times 25 is 325.
I do use the extended test kit directions.

I really don't know what my PH level is but it measures more than 8.0 and that is as high as my Taylor test kit measures.

I will watch the SLAM process and begin.

OK -- sorry on the TA comment. I have never used the 10 ml sample for TA.

You need to drop your pH to 7.2 before you SLAM.

As you do not know how high it is, start with the assumption it is 8.0. Use that in the Now column of PoolMath, and Target 7.2. Be sure your TA is entered in the Now column. PoolMath will tell you how much muriatic acid to use. Add that, circulate pool for 30 minutes, brush it to get it well mixed, and test pH again. If still above 7.2, enter the new value in the Now column and 7.2 in target, and repeat.

You may want to retest TA too. It will be dropped each time you add acid.

Take care.

Thanks mknauss. No harm on TA issue I just feel like I am fumbling sometimes learning this. I have tested so much running low on regeant so used that method.

I have just put in the chlorine for the desired 24 FC!! Am I still ok to tackle PH and TA?

You cannot accurately test pH when FC is above 10 ppm. So you should have followed my last post prior to raising your FC. If you did not, then do not add any more LC and when your FC tests at 10 ppm or less, follow the pH lowering protocol I described above. THEN start the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.