Leaking pool (vinyl)

Apr 19, 2015
Simsbury, CT
Hello,

We just opened our pool for the summer. When opened, it was full to the top with water.
We drained some so that the skimmers would work, but left the level high to account for backwashing the filter.
Since starting pump 2 1/2 days ago, the pool has lost approximately 4 inches of water, now down below skimmer line and pump won't pull water.

Observations:
While winterized, the pool was not losing water, so assume it is not a leak in the liner, light, stairs, ?main drain?, etc.
No leaks at equipment pad.
When opening, I believe I only saw antifreeze dispelled from 1 of the return lines (may have come from 2, but not all three).
Pool seemed to lose more water while pump was running, than while not.
But, last night, pump off for 12+ hours and lost an inch of water.
This morning I plugged the return lines and will see what affect that has.

Suggestions, options, assuming have to call pool company, but anything to do beforehand to make the process easier?

Thank you.

Yes, worth a try.

Another thought is- did you have to rake out any debris from the pool when opening? Could you have accidentally torn the liner then?

Otherwise, yeah, I'd focus on the skimmers. Look at the insides for a crack, perhaps way down. If your let the water stand right below the skimmer box (pump off, if you don't also have a main drain) and it doesn't continue to lower..... <shrug> might help isolate the location or line and rule out the liner?

I'm stewing on this, believe me.

Maddie :flower:

Try using your hose to block the skimmer (or use a plug) to isolate the skimmer line. If it doesn't leak you've got a direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.