92 Degree pool, should I keep the Chlorine high?

guisep

Jul 14, 2007
My local pool company suggest 5ppm FAC... current numbers
FAC 5ppm
TAC 5
pH 7.6
TA 110
CYA 80

Things are good now but I want to keep them that way..

Any suggestions for anything else?

With a CYA of 80, you should be keeping a higher FC than that. Chemgeek's chart in the "The Stickies" recommends 5.8ppm as the minimum FC and around 9 as the ideal level for your CYA level.

guisep said:
Thanks for the info.. I'm running a salt system so I guess I'll pump up the output and retest

Well, with a salt chlorinator, the chart doesn't apply. You can even go a little lower than 5ppm and be fine.

As John says, with an SWG you can go lower than the minimum in the chart. Around 3 ppm FC for 60-80 ppm CYA seems to be about the low limit. 2 ppm FC or lower produced algae in several SWG pools. A very few pools even had algae at 3 ppm and needed to use the minimum FC in the chart, but they are the exception. I think that the superchlorination in the SWG cell over multiple turnovers plus the consistent dosing prevent the free-floating green algae from growing.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.