Mouse in skimmer

Apr 29, 2018
Norhtern Virginia
Found a dead mouse in the skimmer yesterday. Assuming in the skimmer less than 24 hours because I checked the skimmers the night before. Any concerns about disease? Should I shock the pool? I know this won't be the first time I'll find a critter in the skimmer.
Thanks

It depends. I see you just had your pool installed recently -- did you SLAM it (following the procedure religiously?) when you first put in the water? Do you know your current CYA and FC levels?

The short answer: in a properly maintained pool with a good CYA and FC levels, it shouldn't be a problem.

BUT it always makes me feel better to dump in an extra gallon of bleach to bump up my FC levels whenever I find a dead critter in my pool, even though it isn't 'necessary'. It's cheap insurance to make sure that my family doesn't catch something, and I'd rather pay the $2-$3 than potentially get sick, even if it's just a placebo. ;)

If you're new to pool ownership, you'll quickly learn that the local wildlife will also enjoy your pool! I've found plenty of dead animals in my pool: mice, rats, turtles, toads, frogs, birds, a bird's nest, hundreds of dead worms when I opened my pool from the winter...it happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.