newbie getting pool under control, I hope

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
After several days of adding chlorine, brushing, and filtering, water has been looking nice and clear the past few days although brushing does lead to some little dusty light yellowish-brown clouds that I *hope* aren't live mustard algae. Took sample to Leslie's a couple days ago and they said chlorine was above 10PPM, too high for them to do a full test. Took another sample in today (my FAS-DPD kit is on order) and results are:
FAC 5
TAC 5
pH 7.4
TA 120
Calcium Hardness 200
CYA 50
TDS 1300
Phosphates 400 (Leslie's guy says PO4's are "really high" but from what I've read here, i just need to make sure I keep the Chlorine level up, right?)

So from the FAC/CYA chart and calculator it looks like I should add another 21 oz. of 10% liquid chlorine to move from current FAC to target of 6, right?
Thanks! It's great to be able to post questions to pool users who *aren't* trying to sell me more pool chemicals!

Your numbers look pretty good but don't be surprised if YOUR kit shows very different numbers. You're doing the right thing by bumping your FC up a little.

Once you get your kit you can do an overnite chlorine drop test and then you won't have to guess whether it's something growing or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.