Ok pool gurus and experienced owners, fess up!

Not my error, but something that happened with my pool. The pool is about 8 feet higher than the equipment pad. As part of the installation the previous owner hard piped the backwash pipe well away from the house/equipment pad.

I had someone come over to fix a pipe and while they were there they decided to help me out and backwash the pool. They turned the pump off, selected backwash on the multiport valve, opened the valve on the backwash pipe (added to be doubly sure the pool din't drain by accident) and started the backwash. Once clear they turned the pump back off and got distracted before they closed the backwash pipe valve or the selector on the multiport valve.

I came home to a pool with just water in the deep end and draining quickly thru the open backwash valve....

It took almost 2 days with a hose to refill the pool. The entire time I was just waiting for the pool to float up out of the ground because of our high water table (across the street from a huge lake)

Ooh, just had a good one. I've been braggin' on and on to anyone that'll listen about my new Pentair IntellipH. Finally got it installed, with even more fanfare, and... nothing. Didn't work. Wasn't pumping acid into the pool. Turns out I had just assumed which of the two pump connections was in, and which was out. Didn't read the instructions. Was just sure which one should be which. Well, I had a 50-50 chance, right? Got it wrong. Switched the two tubes connected to each, and now it works. I don't generally hate reading directions. And sometimes will, cover to cover. Just didn't this time...

2 years ago I cleaned my cartridge filter and then turned on my 3 HP VSP and it always starts up full speed. I tell ya now, that thing can flat out pump some water. If my house ever catches on fire, I can use my pool and pump for fire fighting.

Anyways.....

A couple minutes later I hear a god awful noise, I went around the corner to where the equip pad is and the sight I saw made me remember that when I put the metal band back on the filter, I had forgotten to tighten it.

The pressure blew the top clean off of the filter and broke my pressure gauge. No clue how high in the air my filter top blasted, but I wish I had seen in happen. Water was going everywhere! On the bright side. the hunt for a new pressure gauge led me to the high class glycerine filled one which I have now.

oops!

Just did a bonehead move last week. My SWG check filter light was on and it was the regular maintenance period, opened it up, looked and it was clean as new. I put it back on and reset the light everything seemed great. 2 days later my pool level was down about 6" - 8" I thought I had a major leak. Checked the solar, checked the returns, but couldn't find anything. Then I remembered what I just did, checked the SWG and sure enough it was leaking like a sieve (I didn't screw the bottom on well). I lost about 1500 gallons. I had just added salt and CYA so they both lost about 15% and I had to add the water back with more salt & CYA, ugh....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 years ago I cleaned my cartridge filter and then turned on my 3 HP VSP and it always starts up full speed. I tell ya now, that thing can flat out pump some water. If my house ever catches on fire, I can use my pool and pump for fire fighting.

Anyways.....

A couple minutes later I hear a god awful noise, I went around the corner to where the equip pad is and the sight I saw made me remember that when I put the metal band back on the filter, I had forgotten to tighten it.

The pressure blew the top clean off of the filter and broke my pressure gauge. No clue how high in the air my filter top blasted, but I wish I had seen in happen. Water was going everywhere! On the bright side. the hunt for a new pressure gauge led me to the high class glycerine filled one which I have now.

oops!

I’m sure it went past the roof line. It’s actually something you never want to see, when those vessels launch somebody can get killed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.