How much sand in the filter?

yes you should add sand. I use 6-8 inches from the top of the filter opening as a general rule of thumb. What brand/model filter do you have? If you know this you may be able to look up the owner's manual online.

Reactions: JayH
dmanb2b said:
yes you should add sand. I use 6-8 inches from the top of the filter opening as a general rule of thumb. What brand/model filter do you have? If you know this you may be able to look up the owner's manual online.
It's a Hayward and the label says 200 lbs.....I think I remember that being about 12" from the top.

I flushed the sand pretty well until the water was clear.....the sand is 3 years old.
Should I add or replace it all?

even at 10-12 inches you should be fine. IMHO sand should be flushed via backwashing...so I'm not quite sure why you are manually rinsing your sand, if I'm understanding correctly?

Given it's 3 years old replacing 200lbs will only cost you $10-$15...your choice, but IMO not needed. Good luck with the project.

Reactions: JayH
dmanb2b said:
even at 10-12 inches you should be fine. IMHO sand should be flushed via backwashing...so I'm not quite sure why you are manually rinsing your sand, if I'm understanding correctly?
As suggested in this post:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/liquid-sand-filter-cleaner-t9691.html

A lot of dirty brown water, small particles of debris and oily, green bubbles came out....took about a half hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.