Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much sand in the filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much sand in the filter?

I am cleaning out the snad with a hose as recommeded onanother thread....It appears that I have lost sand...it's about half full.
    Sould I add sand?
    10,000 Gal. Inground Plaster Lap Pool
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much sand in the filter?

yes you should add sand. I use 6-8 inches from the top of the filter opening as a general rule of thumb. What brand/model filter do you have? If you know this you may be able to look up the owner's manual online.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    yes you should add sand. I use 6-8 inches from the top of the filter opening as a general rule of thumb. What brand/model filter do you have? If you know this you may be able to look up the owner's manual online.
    It's a Hayward and the label says 200 lbs.....I think I remember that being about 12" from the top.

I flushed the sand pretty well until the water was clear.....the sand is 3 years old.
    Should I add or replace it all?
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

4. Back To Top    #4

~1/2 way up a Hayward filter is normal (the ones that have a top and bottom, should have the sand ~ at the seam)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

even at 10-12 inches you should be fine. IMHO sand should be flushed via backwashing...so I'm not quite sure why you are manually rinsing your sand, if I'm understanding correctly?

Given it's 3 years old replacing 200lbs will only cost you $10-$15...your choice, but IMO not needed. Good luck with the project.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    even at 10-12 inches you should be fine. IMHO sand should be flushed via backwashing...so I'm not quite sure why you are manually rinsing your sand, if I'm understanding correctly?
    As suggested in this post:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/liqui...ner-t9691.html

A lot of dirty brown water, small particles of debris and oily, green bubbles came out....took about a half hour.
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA