Confused and in a Pinch. Please Help Me!

dmj4

Jul 22, 2009
I have all kinds of problems trying to get the answers to my questions. Everything from my electrician not having experience with electric heat pumps to the sales person telling us to pull the wrong number of wires a 120 feet from the house to losing my first attempt at this post and having to start all over.

This is a new pool that we are trying to build. This is what I have:
1) Jandy AE3000 TR Heat and Cool electric heat pump
2) 4.0 ColorLogic Light
3) 1 1/2 HP Hayward Pump
4) 3/4 HP Polaris booster pump for pool cleaner. It can be 115 or 230
5) AquaRite SWG
6) one double receptacle

These are my questions and problems:
My electrician has never installed an electric heat pump. He is a licensed electrician and owns the most highly regarded electrical business in town. He put a 100AMP subpanel in my basement and ran 80AMP (almost positive) to my pool. Now he says we may not have enough to power everything. He has not looked at the booster pump or the AquaRite, yet. I am hoping he is thinking they take more power than they do. He has never installed a SWG, either.
*****Question***Did I give enough info for anyone to determine if I will have enough power for the things I have listed above? What do you think?

*****Question***My Jandy AE3000 is heating the pool, but the "Maintain Heat" feature is not working nor is it showing up on the control panel. We do not have a timer nor do we have anything that controls the entire system. Does anyone know why the "Maintain Heat" feature is not working? Do I have to have timer, could it be wired wrong? What do you think?

*****Question***The sales person for the Jandy AE3000 told us that we could take the controller off the heat pump and intall it in the house if we run 2 wires. The electrician ran conduit and 2 wires 120 feet to prepare for this. When the electrician pulled the controller, it needs 4 wires. After buying the bracket, we either have to pay for them to pull more wires (120 feet) or forget it being in the house. If the "Maintain Heat" feature is not going to work, we probably don't need it in the house, anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Donna

My comments are in this Color

dmj4 said:
This is a new pool that we are trying to build. This is what I have:
1) Jandy AE3000 TR Heat and Cool electric heat pump.
This unit needs 50 amps according to the mfg.

2) 4.0 ColorLogic Light.
I figured 1 amp for this

3) 1 1/2 HP Hayward Pump.
At 230 volts this pump will draw 10 amps

4) 3/4 HP Polaris booster pump for pool cleaner. It can be 115 or 230.
At 230 volts this pump will draw 7 amps
At 120 volts this pump will draw 14 amps
5) AquaRite SWG.
I can't find out how much this draws so I guessed at 5 amps (I think it'll be less than that).

6) one double receptacle.
Be careful what you plug into this.

*****Question***Did I give enough info for anyone to determine if I will have enough power for the things I have listed above? What do you think?
You gave enough to at least get close

*****Question***My Jandy AE3000 is heating the pool, but the "Maintain Heat" feature is not working nor is it showing up on the control panel. We do not have a timer nor do we have anything that controls the entire system. Does anyone know why the "Maintain Heat" feature is not working? Do I have to have timer, could it be wired wrong? What do you think?
I'll leave this to someone that has worked on one before

*****Question***The sales person for the Jandy AE3000 told us that we could take the controller off the heat pump and intall it in the house if we run 2 wires. The electrician ran conduit and 2 wires 120 feet to prepare for this. When the electrician pulled the controller, it needs 4 wires. After buying the bracket, we either have to pay for them to pull more wires (120 feet) or forget it being in the house. If the "Maintain Heat" feature is not going to work, we probably don't need it in the house, anyway.
It all depends on what you want. It shouldn't cost much to pull the 2 conductor out and pull a 4 conductor in it's place.

Donna

Here's the just of it. Hook everything you can up at 240 volts. With all your equipment running at the same time you'll be drawing. 73 amps. While that's close you should be able to run everything. Now here's the disclaimer: I got all these numbers off the internet. The actual power requirements might be different.

Thank you so much for your help. Bama Rambler, I really appreciate all the research and answers you gave me. I did tell the electrician about your findings and he did hook everything up today. I really think the big Jandy heat pump had him concerned.

Thanks again!
Donna

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.