Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I moved into my current house a year ago. I inherited a pool with a pool fence. The fence however is rusting out and at the very least needs to be repaired.

And to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of fences as I think they are aesthetically blah. At my old house I had a Katch-a-Kid mesh net which I didn't particularly care for either. My old pool had rocks around it and dragging that net around often drug a ton of rocks into the pool. It was also just generally cumbersome to take off and put on so it made it so you didn't really want to swim.

I saw an ad for this pool cover and it seems interesting. It seems like it has many benefits over a fence or a mesh pool cover. What do you guys think?

Solar Safe Pool Covers

I can't find any videos that really show the installation or removal procedure. Only a few videos that show the automatic version or pictures of people standing on it. Which is great, but I want to see how it is in the real world - taking it off and installing it back on. Also, how is it installed to the deck, etc.

I've contacted the company so will wait for them to contact me back. But just wanting to see what ya'll experts think. :cool:

Yeah, I don’t think much of the aesthetics of that cover. But it’s your pool, your choice!

I'd take a nice black aluminum fence or autocover over that one. it looks unwieldy and kinda ugly to me.

Yeah, I don’t think much of the aesthetics of that cover. But it’s your pool, your choice!

A fence or auto cover is the way to go. A fence was the first thing I did to the pool area when we bought our house with a pool (3 year old twins). I can't imagine having to uncover/recover the pool every time we went swimming.

There is currently a fence. The sprinklers have rusted it out and will continue to do so with a new one. Aesthetically speaking the current setup is pretty terrible IMHO, and not just because it is rusting. The yard is split in two by a fence and make the yard seem smaller than it already is.

This company has an automatic version as well.

As I said in the OP, I have experience with uncovering/covering. It was a pain at my old house because of the rocks. My current pool is almost a perfect rectangle and surrounded by deck (old one surrounded by rocks on 3/4 sides).
Fences can be defeated, hence the interest in this.

Thanks for your opinions.

I think Chandler requires fencing around pools. If you live outside city limits, do you know your local rules regarding that? Given your description it certainly sounds like a fence that was placed there our of legal necessity and not for aesthetic reasons.

I think Chandler requires fencing around pools. If you live outside city limits, do you know your local rules regarding that? Given your description it certainly sounds like a fence that was placed there our of legal necessity and not for aesthetic reasons.
This is a good call. I know one can definitely find "Chandler, AZ, pool fence requirements" both in the wild and on government sites (click).

However I've also seen that there may be some leniency in that it has to be a barrier, not a wall. See below.

Arizona’s requirements for pool barriers
Walls or fences
• Must enclose entire pool area
• Must be at least five feet high (four feet high when the living area makes up part of the enclosure)
• Must have no openings, other then doors or gates, through which an object four inches in diameter can pass
• Must have no openings, handholds or footholds that can be used to climb the barrier
• Must be at least 20 inches from the water’s edge

Motorized safety pool covers
• Must require a key switch to operate
• Must meet American Society of Testing and Materials standards (astm.org)

Doors or windows with access to a pool
• Must have self-latching devices located not less then 54 inches above the floor
• Must have either a screwed-in wire mesh screen covering or a keyed lock that prevents an opening of more than four inches

Aboveground swimming pools
• Must have non-climbable exterior sides that are a minimum height of four feet
• Must have removable access ladders or steps
• Must be able to be secured when the pool is not in use

Pool gates
• Must open outward from the pool
• Must be self-closing and self-latching

Gate latches
• Must be located at least 54 inches above the ground on the pool side of the gate
• Must have a release mechanism located at least five inches below the top of the gate
• Must have no opening greater than one-half inch within 24 inches of the release mechanism
• Must be secured by a padlock or similar device that requires a key, electric opening or integral combination

I'll have to inquire directly with the city on whether it requires a pool barrier or a pool fence. I will say that when I bought and sold my last house (also in Chandler) it did not have a pool fence. In fact, when I bought the house it had no protection whatsoever.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it actually looks pretty cool, though it may not meet the legal requirements in your area.

From what I can see, it's a custom measured cover that is held in place with brass fittings that screw in about every 4-6 feet or so. The upside is that it looks to be a safety device, and it would probably cost a lot less than an autocover.

The downside is that it appears that you actually have to walk around with a drill and undrill the anchors to remove the cover. Once undrilled it would appear that you could roll it up if you were dealing with a rectangular pool, though you'd probably need a big, strong reel.

They mention a semiautomatic version in which the long sides of a rectangle are on tracks, and I assume the short ends are bolted down. To me that's kind of a cool idea. In theory, I wouldn't mind unscrewing 3 or 4 bolts on one end of the pool, then slide the cover back over tracks to use the pool, and reverse the process when done.

I'd take a nice black aluminum fence or autocover over that one. it looks unwieldy and kinda ugly to me.

Maddie :flower:

I agree.

Fences may not be aesthetically pleasing but installed correctly with a self closing gate are a constant physical barrier between children and the pool. The cover will not always be in place. Pool fencing saves lives. We have a glass pool fence which gives a clear line of sight to the pool. It also reduces the risk of children being able to scale it with their toes as I have seen some kids with strong gross motor skills do with aluminium fencing. I would redo the fence. You will be able to sleep soundly. Is not just your kids it’s protecting. It’s also any children who may be visiting or wander into your yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm certainly no expert, but I think it actually looks pretty cool, though it may not meet the legal requirements in your area.

From what I can see, it's a custom measured cover that is held in place with brass fittings that screw in about every 4-6 feet or so. The upside is that it looks to be a safety device, and it would probably cost a lot less than an autocover.

The downside is that it appears that you actually have to walk around with a drill and undrill the anchors to remove the cover. Once undrilled it would appear that you could roll it up if you were dealing with a rectangular pool, though you'd probably need a big, strong reel.

They mention a semiautomatic version in which the long sides of a rectangle are on tracks, and I assume the short ends are bolted down. To me that's kind of a cool idea. In theory, I wouldn't mind unscrewing 3 or 4 bolts on one end of the pool, then slide the cover back over tracks to use the pool, and reverse the process when done.

It kind of looks like there is some sort of anchor around the pool... but only one part that "fastens" to the pool (with the drill attachment).

Solar Safe Pool Covers explains safety advantages of a pool cover - YouTube

The Katch-a-Kid mesh net had a big reel, which was just made of PVC.

If that is the case, its fine for off-season covering....but the day to day stuff, whooweee! No way!

Maddie :flower:

Like I said, I had a mesh net. It is not super difficult. The problem was that my old pool was surrounded by rocks so I'd end up dragging rocks in the pool as I went around. Each to their own though right?

I agree.

Fences may not be aesthetically pleasing but installed correctly with a self closing gate are a constant physical barrier between children and the pool. The cover will not always be in place. Pool fencing saves lives. We have a glass pool fence which gives a clear line of sight to the pool. It also reduces the risk of children being able to scale it with their toes as I have seen some kids with strong gross motor skills do with aluminium fencing. I would redo the fence. You will be able to sleep soundly. Is not just your kids it’s protecting. It’s also any children who may be visiting or wander into your yard.
Isn't a net a "constant physical barrier" between kids and pools?

I'm not sure I follow. Yes, pool fencing saves lives - trust me as I live in Arizona where pools are plentiful and every year there is massive press coverage on pool safety. They even have give aways for pool fences to people who need it. But if a fences can be scaled (as you admit) then once over there is no barrier left. Even a glass fence can be scaled. I know this seems crazy but I remember as a kid walking on the ceiling with my siblings. If I was able to find out how to walk on the ceiling, would scaling a glass (or iron) fence be out of the question?

Permitting that fences are always closed and the net is always on (diligence by the adults) then the pool net in my opinion gets the nod for overall safety because kids aren't strong enough or don't have the tools to take it off.

I'm sure glass fencing isn't cheap, either. ;)

Isn't a net a "constant physical barrier" between kids and pools?

I'm not sure I follow. Yes, pool fencing saves lives - trust me as I live in Arizona where pools are plentiful and every year there is massive press coverage on pool safety. They even have give aways for pool fences to people who need it. But if a fences can be scaled (as you admit) then once over there is no barrier left. Even a glass fence can be scaled. I know this seems crazy but I remember as a kid walking on the ceiling with my siblings. If I was able to find out how to walk on the ceiling, would scaling a glass (or iron) fence be out of the question?

Permitting that fences are always closed and the net is always on (diligence by the adults) then the pool net in my opinion gets the nod for overall safety because kids aren't strong enough or don't have the tools to take it off.

I'm sure glass fencing isn't cheap, either. ;)

A fence is always there. Unless the cover goes on immediately after every swim its not. If you are diligent about putting the cover on straight after swimming it is a good solution. Just not sure how easy that would be to do. A fence and safety cover would be the ideal combination. The risk is to children under 5 who make up the majority of drowning victims. It is very, very few children under the age of 5 who can scale a 1.2 metre aluminium fence but yes the risk is there. Yes kids can drown in open bodies of water but usually they’re are not left unattended around them and the are a distance from the house or elsewhere. There will always be a risk having a pool. This is the reason why we haven’t put one in until now. Our youngest is 6. Is a strong swimmer and sensible. Still a risk but less that it would have been 3 or 4 years ago.

Consider that this cover might hold rain water, that water is a drowning risk. IMO it is not a drowning barrier and you are not only spending a lot of money but are gambling with anyone who wanders into your yard. Please do not go this route.

A lawyer woukd have a hay day with that.

I think the idea is that the cover will hold water. I'd think you'd have to put a pump on it to drain the water off. To me this looks just like an autocover, except it isn't auto-- you go around with a drill drilling it into the deck and off again afterward.

In my mind I had pictured someone using this type of cover in a fenced yard.

I wouldn't use a cover like this by itself without any type of fencing. Within my fully fenced yard, I might use a cover like this without an additional mesh-style pool fence though.

The reasons I wouldn't use this without a fully fenced yard: putting it on takes too long, if you're out enjoying the pool with the cover off, and feel the call of nature, you'd have to put it back on before going to the bathroom, and take it off again once done-- the temptation to be irresponsible for just a few minutes would be too great, and it's just too easy to get distracted-- a knock on the door, pizza delivery, phone call, spill some pool acid, etc.... Also, in Arizona I'd imagine you're going to need to have the cover off a good deal during the hot season or your pool will be too hot to use.

I think the idea is that the cover will hold water. I'd think you'd have to put a pump on it to drain the water off. To me this looks just like an autocover, except it isn't auto-- you go around with a drill drilling it into the deck and off again afterward.

In my mind I had pictured someone using this type of cover in a fenced yard.

I wouldn't use a cover like this by itself without any type of fencing. Within my fully fenced yard, I might use a cover like this without an additional mesh-style pool fence though.

The reasons I wouldn't use this without a fully fenced yard: putting it on takes too long, if you're out enjoying the pool with the cover off, and feel the call of nature, you'd have to put it back on before going to the bathroom, and take it off again once done-- the temptation to be irresponsible for just a few minutes would be too great, and it's just too easy to get distracted-- a knock on the door, pizza delivery, phone call, spill some pool acid, etc.... Also, in Arizona I'd imagine you're going to need to have the cover off a good deal during the hot season or your pool will be too hot to use.
You make valid points in that many times we are all over the place in doing different things and if the cover/net is the only barrier then that is a lot of work to do every time. I know when I am working a project outside I am going back-and-forth from garage to house to side yard, etc. So similarly I'd probably be all over the place to "just run to the garage to get a toy" or something like that. Much easier to put kids on other side of fence and do what you need to do than to put on cover.

With that said, my arguements above with a fence is that an un-closed gate is the same as a pool with no cover. Yes, the fence is always there... but if it gets left open or the gate locking mechanism fails then essentially you have decorative railing, not a safety source. So in my mind a 100% locked gate is the same as a 100% pool net - doesn't matter if the fence is physically standing there all day. Furthermore, stuff just seems to get destroyed out here in Arizona with the sun - especially if your lock had plastic I can see that malfunctioning. Hope that makes sense.

I know it doesn't take much water to drown in but I'd guess that Phoenix's 4" of rain per year isn't as big of a problem as it is anywhere else in the world. Better safe than sorry. (BTW, did you know that Phoenix gets the second most sun of any city in the world? LINK)

I've come close to moving to Phoenix for a job twice, so have been there a good deal. Sunny, check!

I'd have to think that taking a cover like that off by hand in the Phoenix heat would be a hellish endeavor. Don't you think it'd be really hot on your hands and arms? You might even have to worry about kids walking on it with bare feet. In Florida I've seen some truly horrible foot burns from kids walking on hot metal docks with bare feet.

I might go with a mesh style pool fence in your instance. Probably cheaper than this cover, and you can DIY, most likely. If a new mesh-style pool fence wouldn't help the aesthetics at all, then I might try to repair the old fence-- if it's going to look bad, it may as well be inexpensive, right?

I guess I might be tempted to look at the semi-automatic version of this cover-- fully automatic would just seem to be an autocover. Autocovers are cool, but very pricey, and from what I can tell require a reasonable amount of upkeep and maintenance. For a rectangular pool, a cover that is on tracks on the long sides of the rectangle, that can be relatively easily slid back by hand, like a convertible top seems pretty cool to me. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, it would seem at least.

I've come close to moving to Phoenix for a job twice, so have been there a good deal. Sunny, check!

I'd have to think that taking a cover like that off by hand in the Phoenix heat would be a hellish endeavor. Don't you think it'd be really hot on your hands and arms? You might even have to worry about kids walking on it with bare feet. In Florida I've seen some truly horrible foot burns from kids walking on hot metal docks with bare feet.

I might go with a mesh style pool fence in your instance. Probably cheaper than this cover, and you can DIY, most likely. If a new mesh-style pool fence wouldn't help the aesthetics at all, then I might try to repair the old fence-- if it's going to look bad, it may as well be inexpensive, right?

I guess I might be tempted to look at the semi-automatic version of this cover-- fully automatic would just seem to be an autocover. Autocovers are cool, but very pricey, and from what I can tell require a reasonable amount of upkeep and maintenance. For a rectangular pool, a cover that is on tracks on the long sides of the rectangle, that can be relatively easily slid back by hand, like a convertible top seems pretty cool to me. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, it would seem at least.
At this point I think between the city's requirements and the possible downfalls, I may as well stick with what I have. I'll just repair what I have and deal with the absolute hideousness. Seriously, I hate it.

check with your insurance company also. i had to change companies because they would not accept the auto cover as child protection. i live in the country, no close neighbors and didn’t want a fence. some companies will and some won’t
What insurance company would cover this? I'm not knowledgeable about such things.

I love my fence I think it very aesthetically pleasing. I would have gotten it even if it wasn't a requirement. Why not just replace it with a nicer fence?

p-f_rCfD10UoDpHLM57DFktE6pHhYf2WvapKFH-hZVAyo59uAuJHicmhVFE24e9CFNyzc-vRihdfjOiLsRyXnKN2ro-5-NUr2csosPKx4WzEnbtgJxQuIwoazJneBNZ4Ti5w6eKNPd189GjQAzITEBtfd8i2c5YaUectbDgIxPl2AXVwP9NX4YY8jnkUkpWxhf3nalgXt3Hql6OXyKCQ5PHwzTJfsSINClNvPuv4dKslJULErybDfBhqE-Zxdyd0v-qKNcAbF0qleVcfiRIwFn9Pki_xmY2QMRuTfMRA3MpVCIGGsD24uxqHLmq5z-Vmean50gebDYTNzYq8QvAfH_Qh8ppjhyp3CyzVFLozdisuZEFG7omaHInGbAYFsx6JGTMPb7VxmcU-6oVPeXKZ9QdEXibKCAUuo9Q3CEqDs0sHxmOqpiXsZ6DU5gDDIU0KXZFjOLompxRhOlVI2MFXatKZoS8wyaEu78rDeWODcXWBczPpNbNYuyhTbuIEkdsKFNVifQesPDkPx0O-FC-1ksrvyotSbFvupc1bo46zH55hEqbtVRXOhFYUvEdqNaxS-_Urvs49knYwZzoJhBRGr-ZvJDZ5Xj4IjWSRSQezJPhHwU5kGDOimYr0jj7bLVT79wN-WRX1sI9D6drJ8wYmFafg50HwYaNn=w1426-h1069-no

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.