Solar system independent of pool pump, filter, etc

Well, the roof is going to require a better pump than the side of a hill. A transfer pump that is rated for continuous use and meets the head requirements (number of feet it can lift water) should work, but would probably need to be protected from the elements.

As long as you have some flow and don't have leaks it should be fine.

You can go with efficiency (of the panel itself), or you can go with more of a less efficient option.

If your looking for top of the line, The Most Efficient Solar Pool Heating System on the Market might be a good option.

Bottom of the line: here

Biggest thing to remember is a heater does almost no good without a proper cover, used correctly, and controlling when your pump is run.

General Idea is from Heliocol Solar Pool Heating Compared to No Pool Heating .

Biggest problem is with aesthetics, since you are working with an IGP you cant easily add another skimmer/suction and return.

Also you may want to consider tapping onto the line coming from the skimmer for the supply, and returning the water into the return line after your filter.
Though you could pull from after your filter and return as a water feature (waterfall, etc) giving you less chance to clog your panels.

If you want super cheap, and have some extra garden hose sitting around you can use a transfer pump with that and just lay out the hose in the sun...

Why not use the pool pump, why add another? I’m sorry, but it makes zero sense imo. Your initial spend will be panels, piping and controller. How many panels depends on the sq footage surface area of your pool, shoot for your panel sq footage to be 60-80% of the pool. If doing DYI, I don’t see it costing above $4,000

The only way to run a solar heating system truely independent of the filter system is have seperate inlets and outlets to and from the pool. Retrofitting that could be dificault and there is duplication of equipment.

You cant easily run two systems off the same existing skimmer and return, if both pumps are on at once you risk starving the pumps and causing damage to the pumps and equipment. I have this setup and would not recommend it. I have a relay switch that prevents both pumps ever being on at once and a bunch of non return valves. The solar system runs during the day while the main pump runs before and after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only way to run a solar heating system truely independent of the filter system is have seperate inlets and outlets to and from the pool. Retrofitting that could be dificault and there is duplication of equipment.

You cant easily run two systems off the same existing skimmer and return, if both pumps are on at once you risk starving the pumps and causing damage to the pumps and equipment. I have this setup and would not recommend it. I have a relay switch that prevents both pumps ever being on at once and a bunch of non return valves. The solar system runs during the day while the main pump runs before and after.

So running the solar system off the pool pump directly seems to be the general recommendation here...

We see a one pump system and a two pump system where the solar pump is a booster pump, running it completely independent will work and is up to you, I'm in the camp of simple and easy without redundant equipment so a single 3 hp vsp is my recommendation.

So running the solar system off the pool pump directly seems to be the general recommendation here...

Well yes I get that but... In the US it seems the norm is one pump with an actuator valve for the solar, in Aust the norm is a booster pump off the main pump for the solar. But for new installs the common is a total separate system for the solar, often without any filtration.

I have never comprehended how you control FC output while using a pump that is set to temperature control.

No way I would let water go unfiltered to solar panels, I can see crud being pushed into those tiny openings. Asking for trouble imo. A separate pump for solar makes zero sense. The added cost of plumbing in lots of valves plus yet another pump to have bearings or seals go, nope, not the way to do it.

in Aust the norm is a booster pump off the main pump for the solar.

AUS pool is on the money.

US installs tend to use the one pump for everything whereas Aussie installations tend to opt for a completely separate addition - provided the pool itself is setup with the appropriate suction ports.

Below is my new pool (still requires coping installation so floor has not been vacuumed as yet..!)

If you look carefully you should be able to make out 3 suction inlets in the deep end. Center one is a secondary suction line for my skimmer (safety device) and the outer two are suction lines for my solar installation - require two to meet Australian safety standards.

Po1mws.jpg

Secondary standalone pump (3/4HP pump on LHS) for solar water circulation:

VaPAcD.jpg

Solar pump is controlled via its own dedicated controller which operates totally independently of my main chlorinating system:

aom7My.jpg

Shed roof covered with solar pipework on both sides (we do get a lot of cloud free days down here in Aus...:D).

3pGw6u.jpg

The added cost of plumbing in lots of valves plus yet another pump to have bearings or seals go, nope, not the way to do it.

Plumbing is relatively cheap and no extra valves are required. In practice you do not really get any debris in the solar pump as the intake is from approx 1/2 to 3/4 way down in the pool and not from the skimmer.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.