Alternate test procedures for the TF Test Kit

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
For peope who feel confident in their testing and want more flexibility, Taylor has alternate instructions for the FAS-DPD chlorine, total alkalinity, and calcium tests that measure in different increments. The TF Test Kit, which is based on the Taylor chemistry, doesn't come with the alternate directions so I thought I would post them here.

For the FAS-DPD free and combined chlorine test you can use a 25 mL water sample, instead of the usual 10 mL sample. When you do this each drop of R-0871 then counts as 0.2 ppm, instead of the usual 0.5 ppm. This is handy if you want more accurate results, but it uses more titrant and can get tedious.

For the Total Alkalinity test you can use a 10 mL sample, 1 drop of R-0007, 3 drops of R-0008, and each drop of R-0009 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your alkalinity is very high, plus it saves on reagents.

For the Calcium Hardness test you can use a 10 mL sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and each drop of R-0012 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your hardness is somewhat high, plus it saves on reagents.

It is also possible to save on CYA reagent by using the CYA mixing bottle and view tube from a WalMart HTH 6 way kit with the reagent from the TF Test Kit. This will only measure down to 30, instead of 20 using the TF Test Kit components, and it is a narrower tube that is more difficult to look into. But it allows you to do about twice as many tests with the supplied reagent.

On the CYA test, I just mix 10ml pool water with 10ml reagent and use the supplied sight tube. It gives results from 30-100. I know my CYA will be in that range and it cuts reagent use by about 50%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was running low on the chlorine regent. That is why I tested with 5 ml of water. Today I received more in the mail and tested with 10 ml of water -15 drops and then 5 ml took 8 drops. 7 drops left it a faint pink. so generally the same 7.5 FC.. Now my question is with the cc's, With 10 ml of water. I used the 5 drops of the R-003 reagent. It took 1 drop of the R-0871 to clear it. I then tested with 5 ml of water.. used 5 drops( R-003) again 1 drop of the 0871 cleared it. Is my cc's 1 or .05 ?

For the Calcium Hardness test you can use a 10 mL sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and each drop of R-0012 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your hardness is somewhat high, plus it saves on reagents..

These are the exact directions listed on the instruction card that came with my (recently purchased) TF-100. If I wanted to use a 25mL sample for increased precision, how many drops of R-0010 and R-0011L would I use? And then would each drop of R-0012 count as 10ppm?

***EDIT*** Nevermind, I just found it in the "One Page Test Kit Directions" thread. 20 drops R-0010, 5 drops R-0011L, and x10

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.