Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternate test procedures for the TF Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Alternate test procedures for the TF Test Kit

For peope who feel confident in their testing and want more flexibility, Taylor has alternate instructions for the FAS-DPD chlorine, total alkalinity, and calcium tests that measure in different increments. The TF Test Kit, which is based on the Taylor chemistry, doesn't come with the alternate directions so I thought I would post them here.

For the FAS-DPD free and combined chlorine test you can use a 25 mL water sample, instead of the usual 10 mL sample. When you do this each drop of R-0871 then counts as 0.2 ppm, instead of the usual 0.5 ppm. This is handy if you want more accurate results, but it uses more titrant and can get tedious.

For the Total Alkalinity test you can use a 10 mL sample, 1 drop of R-0007, 3 drops of R-0008, and each drop of R-0009 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your alkalinity is very high, plus it saves on reagents.

For the Calcium Hardness test you can use a 10 mL sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and each drop of R-0012 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your hardness is somewhat high, plus it saves on reagents.

It is also possible to save on CYA reagent by using the CYA mixing bottle and view tube from a WalMart HTH 6 way kit with the reagent from the TF Test Kit. This will only measure down to 30, instead of 20 using the TF Test Kit components, and it is a narrower tube that is more difficult to look into. But it allows you to do about twice as many tests with the supplied reagent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alternate test procedures for the TF Test Kit

Can we use only 5ml of water vs 10ml and not divide the drops for fas/dpd test?
    16x32 I.G. Vinyl, Hayward Pro High-Rate Sand S220T, Vari-Flo XL Valve, Hayward Super Pump 1Hp , Great White cleaner, Hayward W530 Leaf Canister, TF100, Pool Skim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. Just keep in mind that doing this reduces the precision a bit, though it is still reasonable for rather high FC levels (say 20 to 50).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the accuracy fall lower or higher ?
    16x32 I.G. Vinyl, Hayward Pro High-Rate Sand S220T, Vari-Flo XL Valve, Hayward Super Pump 1Hp , Great White cleaner, Hayward W530 Leaf Canister, TF100, Pool Skim.

5. Back To Top    #5

Lower since each drop is now 1ppm instead of 0.5 or 0.2ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just got my TF-100 Ill be using my DPD kit for my twice daily FC and PH testing. Ill break out the TF-100 on the weekend or if a problem arises.

Doing the TA CH tests this way will make my kit last longer.... whoohoooo! TFP FTW!
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex (new this year) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

7. Back To Top    #7

Can we get a STICKY on this PLZ
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex (new this year) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

8. Back To Top    #8

There is a far more detailed article in the Further Reading section of Pool School that covers this same material and far far more.

9. Back To Top    #9

It is also already a sticky in the testing forum
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

On the CYA test, I just mix 10ml pool water with 10ml reagent and use the supplied sight tube. It gives results from 30-100. I know my CYA will be in that range and it cuts reagent use by about 50%.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I was running low on the chlorine regent. That is why I tested with 5 ml of water. Today I received more in the mail and tested with 10 ml of water -15 drops and then 5 ml took 8 drops. 7 drops left it a faint pink. so generally the same 7.5 FC.. Now my question is with the cc's, With 10 ml of water. I used the 5 drops of the R-003 reagent. It took 1 drop of the R-0871 to clear it. I then tested with 5 ml of water.. used 5 drops( R-003) again 1 drop of the 0871 cleared it. Is my cc's 1 or .05 ?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    For the Calcium Hardness test you can use a 10 mL sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and each drop of R-0012 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your hardness is somewhat high, plus it saves on reagents..
    These are the exact directions listed on the instruction card that came with my (recently purchased) TF-100. If I wanted to use a 25mL sample for increased precision, how many drops of R-0010 and R-0011L would I use? And then would each drop of R-0012 count as 10ppm?

***EDIT*** Nevermind, I just found it in the "One Page Test Kit Directions" thread. 20 drops R-0010, 5 drops R-0011L, and x10
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

13. Back To Top    #13

It would be read as 0.5 ppm, not 0.05.
    17.5K gal,31' x 15' IG plaster, Depth 4'-6', Built 2015, Pump: Jandy Pro Series Model FHPM 2.HP -2-Spd, 88gpm Turnover 3.3 Hrs; Heater: Jandy JE Heat Pump Model 2500T SWCG: Jandy AquaPure Ei Series Mod. Apure35 Max Output Hypochlorous Acid = 420 g of FC per day = 0.2666 ppm per hour; Filter: Jandy Pro Series Model CS 200; Cleaner: Jandy MX8, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006 Salt; City Water:Doral, FL. Stenner 45M1 for acid.