Test Results

May 24, 2017
Mayfield, Ky
Hello, I received my TF-100 kit today. I should mention that I didn’t put a pool cover on this year and yikes! It was bad. Totally dark green. I have been putting the pool bleach from Wal-Mart, (2) in every day for the last four days (except today) the pool is blue/cloudy now. Here are my results.
CYA : nonexistent
pH: 7.2
FC: 1ppm
CC: 1ppm
So, don’t have much of anything, what do I do now? Thanks for any help :D

Well, the good news is that your PH is already perfect for a SLAM! Just need to get some CYA in there, up to about 30, and start your SLAM. Have you read through Pool School on how to do those things?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and you want to get as much debris out as possible.

I would recommend the following:
- Before adding any stabilizer, increase the FC to 10 and check 10 minutes later. It should still be between 5-10. If not, repeat adding bleach and check again in 10 min. Once you see the water holding FC above 5 after 10 min, then add enough stabilizer for a CYA target of "30". At that point, increase FC to "12" and you are in SLAM mode. Make sure to do all the other things noted on the SLAM Process page (link below). Good luck!

Ok, I’m starting to get overwhelmed here.... my water is still cloudy. Here are my levels.
FC 7ppm
CC 1.5
CH 50
TA 110
CYA 30
pH 6.8

I know I need to get my pH up and get my FC up to 10 but beyond that, I’m lost. Am I on track or am I way off? Any info is greatly appreciated. I’m supposed to have family over this weekend and I’m afraid the pool won’t be ready. Will the chlorine be to high to swim in? Or bleach their swim suits? So sorry to ramble, just worried.

You need to SLAM. The more you can keep your FC at 12, which is your SLAM value, the faster your pool will clear. Be sure and read through the instructions at the link in my first sentence.

Whoops - just realized you were trying to get rid of ammonia. Have you been testing and adding FC to 10 as recommended previously? How long after adding chlorine did you get the FC you listed above?

If you're keeping the FC at about 7, I think it's safe to disregard the ammonia issue, so that's good. Since your FC is below 10, I would increase the pH to about 7.0-7.2 now before adding bleach to raise the FC. So don't worry about any other tests right now. Once you increase the pH just a little from yellow to orange, focus all of your attention on maintaining the FC of 12 and brushing the pool each day. Follow all the SLAM Process page tips and you'll do fine.

I really hope it turns out ok because at this point I’m ready to drain it and start over. I feel like the bleach level will be too high to swim in over the weekend. I’ve been working on it for 8 days already. I really thought if I invested the money for the test kit, that it would be fairly easy to get things leveled out, not so much. When I plug the numbers in to pool math it would say to add this amount of bleach to get to 10 ppm and as u can see I’m at 7, and that’s with adding 4 times what it recommend. I’m probably doing something wrong though, �� . I do appreciate your advice and will try that first.

I I really thought if I invested the money for the test kit, that it would be fairly easy to get things leveled out, not so much.

Trust me it gets easier and getting rid of algae can take time. The most important thing now is get you PH above 7.2 and the keep that FC above 12 for the SLAM. It takes time and patients. Did you already get the CYA in? Your patients will be rewarded. If you want to watch the progress take a picture of your stairs at the same time everyday and you’ll start to notice the change.

Once you you have a completed the SLAM you’ll be able to maintain the recommended Chlorine level and be amazed at how easy it is to keep it balanced at that point.

Mengland, you are fairly new to all of this and it can be overwhelming. Pressure from the family to swim doesn't help. We understand. But the TF-100 is your #1 tool. It will help guide you along with the PoolMath as long as you are taking your time and doing everything correctly. Remember, you just got the TF-100 on the 19th, so officially you've only be in the SLAM mode for about 3 days. Everything else was kind of shooting in the dark. Now you are precise, and we'll help you.

Based on your previous pH of 7.2 (perfect) and CYA of 30 (perfect), all you focus on now is the FC of 12. When it drops, use the calculator to determine how much bleach to get back to 12 and nothing more. More is wasteful. Even during a SLAM you can swim, so the pool's not completely closed unless you go over the SLAM level or can't see the bottom. At the same time, make sure to read carefully and do the other things on the SLAM page. It all plays a part in your success. I also can't emphasize enough how important it is to inspect everything in the water - hollow ladders, steps, behind the light (niches) if you have them, anything. Once in the water, algae can be very stubborn, but chlorine will kill it.

Lastly, have you been taking a picture each day? It helps to see the transition of the water. Be patient and allow the chlorine time to work. The SLAM process has cleared hundreds of thousands of pools. It can do the same for you. Just takes time,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for all of your responses. A few more questions, lol. To get my pH up, you add borax, right? How much do I add and how long does it take to change the pH? Then do I wait until the pH is up to add the rest of the bleach to reach slam level or add it at the same time? Oh, also want to mention that I have not added my steps yet and I will start taking a picture everyday. Thanks!

Yes, borax is one way. Use the PoolMath to determine how much to raise it from 6.8 to about 7.2. Shouldn't be much. Might take a couple hours or so to record depending on circulation. But I'd say once you dose the pool with the borax, let it mix for about 30 min or so and start the bleach increase. SLAM!

Please help!!! I got my FC up to 12 last night and when I woke up it was 8.5, I’m still in slam mode so I expect this. But, just got home from work and tested and my FC is 1.5.... I want to just cry. I have bought at least 20 bottles of bleach, borax and this TF100 kit. I have been very vigilant and I thought I was making some headway last night when it finally started holding at 12. I can’t afford to keep throwing bleach in there to keep it that high if it just gobbles it right up! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
CYA 35
pH 7.0

Your CYA should be rounded up to 40, so your SLAM target is 16 FC. Hiw much did you add this morning after it tested at 8.5?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.