Cleaned filter after major SHOCK for black alae . . .

Just wondering . . . after 1 & 1/2 weeks of constant shock level for black algae (looks like it's gone), we just, tonight, cleaned our filters in the pump . . . with new DE added to our filters. Our water is crystal clear and sparkling, but have not had a chance to do the overnight FC test.

FC level is at 5 ppm right now at 7:30 pm. Should we run the pump all night? I'll do the overnight test tomorrow night.

Does that sound right? Anyone, please advise if I'm not right in the BBB protocol. Thanks!

Sorry no one seemed to see this. Yes, if you are trying to kill algae you should run the pump and do an overnight test to confirm it's dead. Hopefully you were brushing during this process? That's the correct way to deal with black algae - lots of brushing while at shock level (what's your CYA?). Let us know how the test went, if you did the test.

I'll be doing the overnight testing tonight.

My question is this:

I had the pool at shock level for over a week (black algae); brushing with ss brush 2 x per day. When I saw the water was absolutely fantastic looking (never seen it this good, LOL!), I lowered the FC to 3-5 for the last 4 days. I just got my TF-100 tester, so I'm excited to do the overnight testing to see if we got all the algae.

The FC is at 3 at this moment. Once the sun is off of the pool in a couple of hours, should I add bleach and to what level? Then I'll retest, make note of the level and then retest in the morning before the sun hits it, correct?

Here's my first test results at 7:00am this morning using TF-100:

PH = 7.5
TC = 4
FC= 4
CC = 0
TA = 100
CH = 420 (I know, no more cal-hypo only bleach!)
CYA = half way between 20 and 30 on the CYA view tube

Thanks!

If you look at the CYA chart, you find your "min" and your "target" - you add enough bleach each nite to reach your "target" - use the pool calc to figure out how much that is for your size pool. If that amount nightly doesn't keep you above the "min" by the next night, increase the target by 1ppm. This assumes the FC holds overnight. If it doesn't, you are not done shocking.

Hope that makes sense. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.