estimated chemical costs

Aug 17, 2009
Hi again! I am a planner by nature and was wondering what I should budget yearly or monthly for pool chemicals using the BBB method. I know there are a bunch of varibles but what have others experienced . Our pool will be 17,500 gallons, DE filter with a SWG and a varible flow pump. Thanks!

My pool is basically the same as yours, once the water is balanced, All i've ever needed to put in is a cup of acid, once a week.

Some salt, baking powder (for TA),and CYA, but that's only if we get a lot rain.

Sorry can't help with the cost but i know it won't be to much, that's why we have a swcg :-D

Happy swims
Frank

It depends a lot on your fill water. I have very high CH and TA in my water. I use 2-3 gallons of MA during the hot period as my refill water increases TA significantly leading to rapid PH rise.

Once or twice per year I add CYA.

That is all I add to the pool. Everything else is fine as long as nothing gets out of hand.

However, twice this year my FC dropped to 0, leading to my CYA going to 0 both times. This led to a lot of bleach to clean it up and about 16 pounds of CYA for the season.

dave

frankthailand said:
Some salt, baking powder (for TA),and CYA, but that's only if we get a lot rain.

Oh, I think Frank meant to say baking soda (100% sodium bicarbonate) not baking powder.

I too have a SWG so don't have to purchase bleach -- use just a few gallons in mid-winter when the pool temp drops below 50 degrees F. (the SWG shuts down). Due to splash-out and my pool cleaner's occasional fits, I find myself adding CYA bi-monthly, sodium bicarb once in a while, calcium almost never. Most of the two hundred ($USD 200) I spend each year goes to Muratic Acid (to reduce pH), pool salt and testing supplies (Taylor kit refills). Another $100-150 for pool equipment breakage (nets, poles, cleaner parts, etc.) Hope this helps with your planning.

Alot of variables - you don't say where you are located (is this a seasonal pool). Your heater :shock: may be the most costly part for your utility bills :mrgreen: since you have an SWG your likely to see most of the expense come in the form of MA and Baking Soda and perhaps the occasional jug of bleach.

On my little AG pool I now spend $50-75 a year for bleach (all I've needed to add) and my pool is open May-Sep.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Your heater :shock: may be the most costly part for your utility bills :mrgreen:

Yes! The year-over-year increase in electric costs floored me when I put in my pool. And that's without running my expensive Tankless electric heater. Everyone knows that the main filter pump costs money to operate, but when I'd estimated utility costs I forgot to include additional electricity used by the SWG, lights and booster pump (in my pool, it runs almost the same amount of time as the main filter pump.) My electric bill is 50% higher than if I were to just shut down my pool. I turn on the heater when I'm feeling wildly extravagant. Say, on New Year's Eve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've kept pretty close tabs on my pool chemical use for the past three months and it is averaging $1.64/1,000 gal./month. Most of that cost is bleach I use 3 quarts per day at 1.4 cents per oz. or about $45/month or $1.28 per 1,000 gallons.

I know most people on this site buy Walmart bleach. But I can get a gallon of 12% bleach at the Great Escape for $2.25 per gallon. So that turns out to be cheaper than Walmart bleach for me. Just wanted to throw this out there..

dee8381 said:
I know most people on this site buy Walmart bleach. But I can get a gallon of 12% bleach at the Great Escape for $2.25 per gallon. So that turns out to be cheaper than Walmart bleach for me. Just wanted to throw this out there..
dee8381, I'd sure like to know where I can get $2.25 @ gal 12%! Where is this Great Escape?

I spend about $34/mo on bleach (12.5% bottles); I buy acid every 2-3 months @ ~$12 I think. Banking soda every now and then at $1 a box. All in all, much less than having a pool guy come and throw trichlor/dichlor hockey pucks in the pool and dump unnecessary chemicals in weekly.

Not one problem with BBB since we bought the house/pool back in May.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.