Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: estimated chemical costs

1. Back To Top    #1

estimated chemical costs

Hi again! I am a planner by nature and was wondering what I should budget yearly or monthly for pool chemicals using the BBB method. I know there are a bunch of varibles but what have others experienced . Our pool will be 17,500 gallons, DE filter with a SWG and a varible flow pump. Thanks!
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: estimated chemical costs

My pool is basically the same as yours, once the water is balanced, All i've ever needed to put in is a cup of acid, once a week.

Some salt, baking powder (for TA),and CYA, but that's only if we get a lot rain.

Sorry can't help with the cost but i know it won't be to much, that's why we have a swcg

Happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends a lot on your fill water. I have very high CH and TA in my water. I use 2-3 gallons of MA during the hot period as my refill water increases TA significantly leading to rapid PH rise.

Once or twice per year I add CYA.

That is all I add to the pool. Everything else is fine as long as nothing gets out of hand.

However, twice this year my FC dropped to 0, leading to my CYA going to 0 both times. This led to a lot of bleach to clean it up and about 16 pounds of CYA for the season.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frankthailand
    Some salt, baking powder (for TA),and CYA, but that's only if we get a lot rain.
    Oh, I think Frank meant to say baking soda (100% sodium bicarbonate) not baking powder.

I too have a SWG so don't have to purchase bleach -- use just a few gallons in mid-winter when the pool temp drops below 50 degrees F. (the SWG shuts down). Due to splash-out and my pool cleaner's occasional fits, I find myself adding CYA bi-monthly, sodium bicarb once in a while, calcium almost never. Most of the two hundred ($USD 200) I spend each year goes to Muratic Acid (to reduce pH), pool salt and testing supplies (Taylor kit refills). Another $100-150 for pool equipment breakage (nets, poles, cleaner parts, etc.) Hope this helps with your planning.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, I think Frank meant to say baking soda (100% sodium bicarbonate) not baking powder.
    i sure did
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

6. Back To Top    #6

Alot of variables - you don't say where you are located (is this a seasonal pool). Your heater may be the most costly part for your utility bills since you have an SWG your likely to see most of the expense come in the form of MA and Baking Soda and perhaps the occasional jug of bleach.

On my little AG pool I now spend $50-75 a year for bleach (all I've needed to add) and my pool is open May-Sep.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in southern CA ( The OC) and we will have solar. Based on replies the $$$ amount is minimal as long as I keep on top of it. That is great news.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Your heater may be the most costly part for your utility bills
    Yes! The year-over-year increase in electric costs floored me when I put in my pool. And that's without running my expensive Tankless electric heater. Everyone knows that the main filter pump costs money to operate, but when I'd estimated utility costs I forgot to include additional electricity used by the SWG, lights and booster pump (in my pool, it runs almost the same amount of time as the main filter pump.) My electric bill is 50% higher than if I were to just shut down my pool. I turn on the heater when I'm feeling wildly extravagant. Say, on New Year's Eve.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __

9. Back To Top    #9

I've spent $12.43 on BBB chemicals this year!!

...well, ok, I know that doesn't help you any since you have a 17.5k gallon pool. Just had to toss that in there though.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

10. Back To Top    #10

Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

I've kept pretty close tabs on my pool chemical use for the past three months and it is averaging $1.64/1,000 gal./month. Most of that cost is bleach I use 3 quarts per day at 1.4 cents per oz. or about $45/month or $1.28 per 1,000 gallons.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

12. Back To Top    #12

I know most people on this site buy Walmart bleach. But I can get a gallon of 12% bleach at the Great Escape for $2.25 per gallon. So that turns out to be cheaper than Walmart bleach for me. Just wanted to throw this out there..

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dee8381
    I know most people on this site buy Walmart bleach. But I can get a gallon of 12% bleach at the Great Escape for $2.25 per gallon. So that turns out to be cheaper than Walmart bleach for me. Just wanted to throw this out there..
    dee8381, I'd sure like to know where I can get $2.25 @ gal 12%! Where is this Great Escape?
    __

14. Back To Top    #14

I spend about $34/mo on bleach (12.5% bottles); I buy acid every 2-3 months @ ~$12 I think. Banking soda every now and then at $1 a box. All in all, much less than having a pool guy come and throw trichlor/dichlor hockey pucks in the pool and dump unnecessary chemicals in weekly.

Not one problem with BBB since we bought the house/pool back in May.
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by dykes26
    I live in southern CA ( The OC) and we will have solar. Based on replies the $$$ amount is minimal as long as I keep on top of it. That is great news.
    It's not only your pool! ALL POOLS WILL HAVE LESS CHEMICALS NEEDED, IF THEY KEEP "ON TOP" OF THE CHEMISTRY!!

Sounds like you already know what to do
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)