New guy here, ready to learn

May 19, 2018
Walnut Creek/CA
Over the past year and a half I have been getting more and more frustrated with my pool, mainly how much it costs constantly with the “advice” from the pool stores I have been going to. I origibally had a pool cleaning company taking care of the pool for the first 3 months after moving in but decided to take on the task myself when they wanted $300 to clean my filter. After spending a lot of money at Leslie’s, including buying a new filter, I have come here to learn how to keep better control of my pool to keep the water clean year round, rather than having to spend about $200 every month on chemicals to clean the pool that always seems to turn green a month after I follow the pool stores advice. I have recently purchased a TF-100 test kit and am ready to stop resenting the fact I have a pool that I never seem to use, and start enjoying it.

Welcome! :wave:

$200 a month??? :shock:

I'd have to sit down and do some cipherin' to be sure, but I doubt I spend much more'n that on chemicals in a year. My pool is smaller than yours, but still.... I think I'd have filled the hole in if it cost me that much!

You've got the Cadillac of test kits. Run all the tests and post results. We can walk you through things. Once the water is balanced and clear (no algae) it's remarkably simple to keep it that way. Any questions on testing, there's extended directions and even some how-to videos on youtube.

Welcome! :wave:

$200 a month??? :shock:

I'd have to sit down and do some cipherin' to be sure, but I doubt I spend much more'n that on chemicals in a year. My pool is smaller than yours, but still.... I think I'd have filled the hole in if it cost me that much!

You've got the Cadillac of test kits. Run all the tests and post results. We can walk you through things. Once the water is balanced and clear (no algae) it's remarkably simple to keep it that way. Any questions on testing, there's extended directions and even some how-to videos on youtube.

Maybe a bit over exaggerated on the $200 a month. It was about every other month or so to do the full shock, and with all their Clear Aid, Perfect Weekly stuff they want you to but and use regularly.

Anyway here are my readings for my currently green pool.

FC-12ppm(last night was about 12.5, not sure if that is a normal drop off)
CC-1ppm
CH-175ppm
TA-140
PH-8.2+(8.5 if I had to guess)
Br-10-12

CYA reading was at 30, but I added 2lbs to the skimmer yesterday.

I have a 4 cartridge filter and fiberglass over gunite lining, didnt mention that before.

Your pH test is not valid with FC over 10.

Did you confirm your pH of 7.2 prior to raising your FC? If not, I would suggest letting your FC drop below 10 ppm and test / dose to get your pH to 7.2.

Then SLAM Process. Stay at as often as possible.

Take care.

Did you confirm your pH of 7.2 prior to raising your FC? If not, I would suggest letting your FC drop below 10 ppm and test / dose to get your pH to 7.2.

Take care.

Yes I had been testing the FC and PH regularly. It had been in that same range all week. The FC was at about 2 yesterday morning before I added about 2 1/2 gallons of chlorine which brought it up to the 12.5-12.

Take care.

When I went to pick up more Chlorine today I was asked if I was using any algecide. Should I get this, or will the SLAM method take care of everything that would do?

Are you keeping an eye on the pressure gauge? Should clean when pressure hits about 25% higher than your normal clean pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what is your current CYA, and what are you using as your target FC?

It has been a week and a half since I started and the pool still has a green tint to it.

That is troubling. Are you testing your FC and dosing up to SLAM level every 2-3 hours? Brushing, running pump 24/7?

Is the green tint clear or cloudy?

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is troubling. Are you testing your FC and dosing up to SLAM level every 2-3 hours? Brushing, running pump 24/7?

Is the green tint clear or cloudy?

Take care.

Ive been brushing twice a day and vacuuming once a day, though I just got a pool sweep so that will be on with the pump 24/7 now. I saw another post where someone was having this problem and raised their FC to 20 for the SLAM so thats what Im doing now(started on Sunday after a week of normal SLAM levels)