Time to upgrade filter system. What size pump and filter.

garyb

Jun 15, 2009
We have an 18 by 38 oval with a 7.5 feet deep end. I'd estimate the total volume to be around 24,000 gallons. It's time to replace the old Doughboy pump and filter with something new. Tired of the pump noise and occasional sand in the pool. I'm thinking of adding a second return line to help with circulation in shallow end behind cake steps, where flow seems to be lacking. That line would be 1 1/2 inch and run about 40 or 45 feet. The second return would be in the opposite "corner" of current return, which is in the deep end.
Any suggestions on pump and filter size. Make and model? New vs. used? Is the second return line going to help with circulation, or is that just overkill?
By the way, we bought the pool used and we are nearing the end of our first season. I'm guessing the equipment to be about 10 to 12 years old.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would suggest a 1.5 hp two-speed, pentair whisperflow and at a minimum a 300lb sand filter like the hayward S244T maybe even a little larger.

You have a fairly large pool so the two returns would definately help. On the filter, you can never really go too large.

It sound like you've had some bad experience with sand, but is likely to be due to a bad multiport valve. I'd much rather have sand in my pool why something goes wrong than DE, but that just my opinion. I prefer sand due to the ease of maintenance. Good luck, other will be along soon with their input as well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.