Air in returns / Chlorinator suspect ???

hillerji

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2009
Hi,
For whatever reason and I'm sure it's operator induced I've got air in my returns big time. Now as a result of going BBB the Hayward chlorinator is not in use. It also had it's position shifted during a replumbing repair some time ago. It actually sits higher inline above the line coming out of the heater before going to the returns. Is the lid on that supposed to be absolutely air tight? I know there is the little feeder tube inside but all the water does is run in and out with no chlorination taking place. Am I not getting enough water into that feeder tube in the chlorinator and that can be sucking air? I've tried to tighten anything that may be suspect but I'm obviously missing something. Also, there is water on the concrete pad that seems to originate under the pump. the pump was new last year so is it possibly a bolt tightening issue? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

JH

Since you're seeing water under the pump you may have a seal leaking. That would explain the air in the returns. It could be sucking air into the pump while it's running and it could possibly drip when off.

It could also be a small suction side leak. A little more investigation on where that water is coming from might shed light on what's actually happening.

hillerji said:
Also, there is water on the concrete pad that seems to originate under the pump. the pump was new last year so is it possibly a bolt tightening issue? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

JH

A leak in the chlorinator would have water coming out, not air coming in. A loose pump strainer lid or a loose pump basket drain plug would give you bubbles in the returns and would squirt water around the pump when the pump shuts off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.