Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in returns / Chlorinator suspect ???

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in returns / Chlorinator suspect ???

Hi,
    For whatever reason and I'm sure it's operator induced I've got air in my returns big time. Now as a result of going BBB the Hayward chlorinator is not in use. It also had it's position shifted during a replumbing repair some time ago. It actually sits higher inline above the line coming out of the heater before going to the returns. Is the lid on that supposed to be absolutely air tight? I know there is the little feeder tube inside but all the water does is run in and out with no chlorination taking place. Am I not getting enough water into that feeder tube in the chlorinator and that can be sucking air? I've tried to tighten anything that may be suspect but I'm obviously missing something. Also, there is water on the concrete pad that seems to originate under the pump. the pump was new last year so is it possibly a bolt tightening issue? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

JH
    Ct. Pooler
    16x32 IG ~ 23k gal
    Vinyl lined concrete sloping hopper deep end
    Hayward DE 36ft2
    Hayward BA heater not being used
    Gales Ferry Ct.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in returns / Chlorinator suspect ???

Since you're seeing water under the pump you may have a seal leaking. That would explain the air in the returns. It could be sucking air into the pump while it's running and it could possibly drip when off.

It could also be a small suction side leak. A little more investigation on where that water is coming from might shed light on what's actually happening.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Air in returns / Chlorinator suspect ???

Quote Originally Posted by hillerji
    Also, there is water on the concrete pad that seems to originate under the pump. the pump was new last year so is it possibly a bolt tightening issue? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

JH
    A leak in the chlorinator would have water coming out, not air coming in. A loose pump strainer lid or a loose pump basket drain plug would give you bubbles in the returns and would squirt water around the pump when the pump shuts off.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat