Skimmer and water level

Jun 11, 2007
Hi, Ok, I have a Hayward SP1092 that has seen better days on my ABG Pool. The way it is designed, I can't easily change it out right now (when I have to change the liner in a few years, or possibly when the water level is low prior to opening next year). Anyhow, I set the water level about mid point on the skimmer. There is no vortex, but when I put the weir on, it pull the weir down into the skimmer. It doesn't seem to let go of it. It doesn't go in and out. I let my pump run 24/7/. If the water level is lower than this, the pump loses prime. Is this normal? Do some research on other posts, it seems there is no "perfect" formula for water level.

Another thing- There is also a cap on the top of the skimmer that can be removed, but I don't know what it is for (possibly air?). The main problem with the skimmer is the vacuum plate will no longer attach flat to the rim because of the sealant in the way. I did this on accident ( :oops: didn't think before I did it) to fix the rim of the plate is the old stuff was wearing away. I don't think that it is a problem though, as the water level is high enough and there is definetely suction in there :)

One other thing, on the return I have an eyeball (directional fitting). What is the best way to aim this? Orignally I set it to spin the water, but I figured this was also spinning the solar blanket, and that didn't seem like a good idea :)

Thanks for all of your help.

Jamie

cowrack said:
Hi, Ok, I have a Hayward SP1092 that has seen better days on my ABG Pool. The way it is designed, I can't easily change it out right now (when I have to change the liner in a few years, or possibly when the water level is low prior to opening next year). Anyhow, I set the water level about mid point on the skimmer. There is no vortex, but when I put the weir on, it pull the weir down into the skimmer. It doesn't seem to let go of it. It doesn't go in and out. I let my pump run 24/7/. If the water level is lower than this, the pump loses prime. Is this normal? Do some research on other posts, it seems there is no "perfect" formula for water level.

Another thing- There is also a cap on the top of the skimmer that can be removed, but I don't know what it is for (possibly air?). The main problem with the skimmer is the vacuum plate will no longer attach flat to the rim because of the sealant in the way. I did this on accident ( :oops: didn't think before I did it) to fix the rim of the plate is the old stuff was wearing away. I don't think that it is a problem though, as the water level is high enough and there is definetely suction in there :)

One other thing, on the return I have an eyeball (directional fitting). What is the best way to aim this? Orignally I set it to spin the water, but I figured this was also spinning the solar blanket, and that didn't seem like a good idea :)

Thanks for all of your help.

Jamie

Yep, the weir is supposed to stay down when the pump's running, not bounce back and forth. The water flow coming in to the skimmer causes the weir to go down like that. A water level that's midpoint on the skimmer is fine. I have to keep mine up a little higher than that to keep the pump from sucking air. Just whatever works for your pump.

The cap on top of the skimmer is there so you can access the strainer basket in the skimmer itself, and also allows you to add certain chemicals to the pool through the skimmer. I'm a little confused on your vacuum plate issue - did you put sealant on the plate itself, or on the rim of the skimmer where the plate (and strainer basket, btw) seats??

I aim my returns to the lower right. I get good circulation this way, all the debris on the bottom of the pool ends up in the center for easy cleaning, and a rotating solar cover is no biggie. :)

Well, what happened was the original ring where the skimmer basket sits and the vacuum attaches to is actually glued in there (I believe Hayward does this at their factory)..I am sure they use a machine and good glue so it is smooth and so forth...well...the skimmer is about 10 years old, so some of that glue has worn away...I saw the gaps, stupidly thought I would fix it and used a waterproof adhesive to fill them in (This is where the vacuum plate sits/vacuums to..normally that is smooth, but now it has a 'calking' on it, waterproof and strong, but nevertheless it is there). But instead of just filling it in, I smeared it across the plate, and now the vacuum doesn't quite rest correctly (doesn't create a good seal)

As for the cap on top, the SP1092 doesn't have a normal opening on top, You do everything out of the front of it (the plate decking around the pool make it impossible to get to the top of it except about 1.5" inches of space)...so there is a little cap on the top, the opening is about 1.5 inches wide...doesn't say what it does....I would agree, since this skimmer has 'multiple' uses, a place to add chemicals would make the most sense (in situations where you can access the hole).

Should I leave the weir out? or keep it in? the best is to keep it in, but if the pump is always running, will it interfere with the skimmer more than it helps?

Thanks

My skimmer has a 1" hole center of the lid, I always presumed it's there to insert your finger into so you can give it a twist to unlock it and lift it off, if yours is big enough to slip a vac hose through, it could possibly be for that situation, bring the vac hose up though the lid, but keep the lid on when vacuuming so water does not splash out. I have to remove my lid for running the vac hose out the top of skimmer and some days water continually splashes out the skimmer because of this.

Well, thats the odd thing, no lid on this. Myunderstanding is the SP1092 is front access only, the top is closed, except for this opening...but now that you say it, it could be for a hose, but you couldn't get the end through it...I wish I could find an instruction sheet for the thing, but I haven't been able to locate one (its works for the most part, but I am just a curious thing :) )

Jamie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.