Hours of Pump Operation

polyvue

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2009
Sacramento, California USA

Hello. I'm new to TFP forum and have a question.

I've been told that a pool pump should operate at least 6 - 8 hours every day. In order to save energy (and money) I schedule my pump to run 2 1/2 to 3 hrs a day. Less in the winter. The cleaner (w/booster pump) is turned on for a portion of this time. So far, I've never had a problem with visible algae or cloudiness. The SWG (set at 30%) seems to keep up with chlorine demand and I'm unaware of any negative effects being produced by curbing the operating hours of the pump. I couldn't even begin to estimate my pool's turnover -- the Hydraulics 101 forum contains too many technical details for me to reach any conclusion.

Have I provided enough information here? I want to know whether I should abandon my cost-saving measure (at the risk of personal bankruptcy!) or just continue with what seems to be working. Thanks,

Greg

TC 2.1 FC 2.1 CC 0.0
pH 7.6 TA 80 CH 250 CYA 45

Given the pump and filter you have I conservatively figure you're pumping about 80gpm. On a 17k gal pool that's one turnover about every 3.5 hours. So your 3 hours run time is about 1 turn over. About 1 turn over a day is what's recommended so you're almost meeting that. I'd personally opt for more than that but if it's working for you I see no real reason to go to 8 hours. I'd recommend bumping it up to 6 hours running per day. Maybe two 3 hour sessions.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way. What does bother me is your CYA level.

First. your CYA level is low for an SWG. Check your owners manual and see what they recommend for a CYA level. My bet is that it's going to be around 80. Also read Pool Schools article about Water Balance for a SWG. I think you'll get a better understanding of how you should maintain your pool.

Your CYA is lower than our recommended 70-80 but if you are not having any issues with your current run time for the pump and the SWG, why fix what isn't broke...KWIM? If you are seeing visible algae or having clarity issues, then increase the run time of both. But if you are happy with what you have and your FC is holding fine, why mess with a good thing....One thing I've learned from this forum is every pool is unique. What works on one might not work on a nother, there maybe specific reasons why your chlorine holds and you have clear water with such low running times. Minimal sun exposure, light bather load, etc. ...Who knows.

That's my thoughts on it....

Thanks for the input. When I contracted the pool build I did a little homework at Pool Forum and other sites, insisted on 2" PVC throughout, oversized filter and 30 degree elbows to reduce friction/head. The builder complied but I never could get a straight answer regarding GPM or head feet, so I've had to experiment a bit with the pump schedule. Last summer I had the pump going 4.5 hours a day (plus swim time) and was always fighting to keep chlorine levels down below 5-6 PPM. Thus, my new schedule of 3 hrs a day since the end of March.

Appreciate very much the many different viewpoints expressed here. It's helped me to reduce pool chemicals considerably since my first year of pool ownership.

Greg

Yes, I've been a little too parsimonious with the cyanauric acid. Just hate to increase any chemical in my pool, but as both frustratedpoolmom and Bama Rambler have pointed out, this doesn't conform to best practices. I added a pound of CYA this afternoon and expect this should increase ppm to > 50. Thanks for the tip. :)

lovingHDTV said:
You may see your FC increase more than necessary after the added CYA and need to reduce your SWG output level.
Thanks, Dave. That is exactly what happened.

Add 1 lb. of cyanuric acid

BEFORE
FC 2-3
CYA 40-45
Filter pump 3 hrs
SWG output 30%

AFTER
FC 5-6
CYA 50-60
Filter pump 3 hrs
SWG output 30%

I've had to dial back my SWG cell to 20%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.