TA Readings

H2O_Keeper

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
SW Indiana
I have been working on lowering my TA from 140 to 80 and am confused where I am at. I realize I still need to work it down some more. This is with the TFTestkit.

On the 8th drop after a good swirl it is still a solid green. On the 9th drop the solution turns this COLOR and on the tenth it looks closer to this COLOR. So is my TA 90 or 100?

Bob_Funk said:
As I understand it,

You keep adding drops until there is no more color change-do not count the last drop in your total.

Does that make sense?

Bob

Which is to say, the 9th drop changed color so you count that, the 10th drop changed color so you count that. But what happened with the 11th drop (that you did not do) IF it did not change color further, you don't count it, so you would have stopped at 10 drops. If it did change color, you count it and keep going.

So, I'd say you are at 100, or even more, but probably just 100.

Ditto to what anona said, except I think your TA is more likely 110-120. When I run the TA test I get a final color that's more like THIS. Keep doing drops until the color doesn't change any more; the exact color is not the point.
--paulr

Um, I think your TA is fine where it is (about 100).

Unless you have some source of aeration, like an attached spa, waterfall, etc. or you have an SWG, a TA of 140 is ok and not worth the hassle of trying to lower it... I had a TA of 120 for 2 years and my ph never budged.....

Thanks all, I was confused about the term red in the directions. Did not know if any form of red was okay or what. Now I know its no further movement of a red color.

I will leave it alone where it is and see if I am locked in at 100 or possibly 110 the next time I check. I had my TA at 90 the beginning of the season and it barely moved PH in over a month. And now it was up to 140 and I found readings drifting to 7.8 about every two weeks (I leave alone till I get a solid 7.8 maintaining 7.5). Assuming the recent MA adds were necessary due to the higher TA. I dont have waterfalls or anything of the sort. We have had a lot of rain this year, does that raise TA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.