Getting Chlorine level down

kmtyb

Aug 24, 2009
Hi,

I'm a 3 month old pool owner. I had to shock my pool due to Black Algae and wondering what is the best way to get Chlorine level down safe for swimming.

My readings are:

TC 28
PH 7.5
T/A 100
CH 400
CYA 70

I turned off my salt system yesterday but it seems like my TC level stayed the same. Anyhow, we currently have water conservation in Southern Calf. and trying to avoid drain and refill method.

Thx,

TY

Ty,

Welcome to the forum. You don't need to do a thing. It may take a few days but your FC will drift down on it's own.

FWIW, probably not black algae which occurs in pools badly neglected for long periods of time.....that doesn't sound like your pool, does it?

Most of us see FC drift down by something like 1.5ppm to 2.5 ppm a day, depending on lots of differnet things like sunshine and usage.

But, the important thing is that it is OK to swim at anything less than shock levels, which for CYA 70 that is 28, so you can swim today or tomorrow. Turn the SWG back on when you get to the FC level you want to maintain.

thank you for the fast response!!! I have one of those dial timers and last week decided to change my start and finish times. Well found out i did not tighten the start screw hard enough and I was getting (i'm guessing) less than 10 min pump run time for about 5 days.

I'm just guessing Black Algae due to about 100 small black spots around the pool. Most now are gone with good amount of Chlorine and scrubbing :)

anonapersona said:
Most of us see FC drift down by something like 1.5ppm to 2.5 ppm a day, depending on lots of differnet things like sunshine and usage.
At normal FC levels that's what you would see; from shock levels I'd anticipate FC to drop probably by half in the first couple of days.
--paulr

PaulR said:
anonapersona said:
At normal FC levels that's what you would see; from shock levels I'd anticipate FC to drop probably by half in the first couple of days.
--paulr

Oh, :hammer: yes, it is really a % drop not a ppm drop that one expects.

Anona, still learning

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.