Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Chlorine level down

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Chlorine level down

Hi,

I'm a 3 month old pool owner. I had to shock my pool due to Black Algae and wondering what is the best way to get Chlorine level down safe for swimming.

My readings are:

TC 28
    PH 7.5
    T/A 100
    CH 400
    CYA 70

I turned off my salt system yesterday but it seems like my TC level stayed the same. Anyhow, we currently have water conservation in Southern Calf. and trying to avoid drain and refill method.

Thx,

TY
    25,000gal Inground Plaster Pool
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-6 1.5HP X 3
    Pentair Clear and Clear Plus Cartridge 420
    Pentair MasterTemp 300,000 btu Heater
    Compu-Chlor Super Salt System

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Getting Chlorine level down

Ty,

Welcome to the forum. You don't need to do a thing. It may take a few days but your FC will drift down on it's own.

FWIW, probably not black algae which occurs in pools badly neglected for long periods of time.....that doesn't sound like your pool, does it?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Most of us see FC drift down by something like 1.5ppm to 2.5 ppm a day, depending on lots of differnet things like sunshine and usage.

But, the important thing is that it is OK to swim at anything less than shock levels, which for CYA 70 that is 28, so you can swim today or tomorrow. Turn the SWG back on when you get to the FC level you want to maintain.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for the fast response!!! I have one of those dial timers and last week decided to change my start and finish times. Well found out i did not tighten the start screw hard enough and I was getting (i'm guessing) less than 10 min pump run time for about 5 days.

I'm just guessing Black Algae due to about 100 small black spots around the pool. Most now are gone with good amount of Chlorine and scrubbing
    25,000gal Inground Plaster Pool
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-6 1.5HP X 3
    Pentair Clear and Clear Plus Cartridge 420
    Pentair MasterTemp 300,000 btu Heater
    Compu-Chlor Super Salt System

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Most of us see FC drift down by something like 1.5ppm to 2.5 ppm a day, depending on lots of differnet things like sunshine and usage.
    At normal FC levels that's what you would see; from shock levels I'd anticipate FC to drop probably by half in the first couple of days.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    At normal FC levels that's what you would see; from shock levels I'd anticipate FC to drop probably by half in the first couple of days.
    --paulr
    Oh, yes, it is really a % drop not a ppm drop that one expects.

Anona, still learning
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.